Money questions

Imperate

Money questions

Post by Imperate » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:58 pm

As an international student I was told my stipend would be taxed, which I am really shocked about (this isnt the case in the UK) :(, anyone know what % this will be?

Also 3 years TA'ing typical? I was expecting 2 years TA'ing 3 years RA

Helio

Re: Money questions

Post by Helio » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Imperate wrote:As an international student I was told my stipend would be taxed, which I am really shocked about (this isnt the case in the UK) :(, anyone know what % this will be?

Also 3 years TA'ing typical? I was expecting 2 years TA'ing 3 years RA
TAing depends on research... if you are theory you might TA longer because the prof dont have the money to pay you.

It will be "taxed" but you get the money back or they will automatically see that there is a tax treaty, so they won't tax you.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:26 am

Helio wrote: It will be "taxed" but you get the money back or they will automatically see that there is a tax treaty, so they won't tax you.
Tax return is at the end of each year. and also if you start in September, you will be exempted of tax paying for the duration of 4 months up to December. it means they will start tax from the next January.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 am

Imperate wrote:anyone know what % this will be?
It depends partially on what state you are in. It's quite possible that the tax will end up being 0% because as a grad student, you are poor.