Anyone hear back from the STScI summer program yet?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

unrelated

Anyone hear back from the STScI summer program yet?

Post by unrelated » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:07 pm

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they told me the first week on april, but I still haven't heard back. Has anyone else?

activegalaxybuff

Re: Anyone hear back from the STScI summer program yet?

Post by activegalaxybuff » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm

I just spoke to one of our lovely human resources people for you and she says that the online status of the applications is updated regularly, so if it says your application is still under review, then it is still under review. If it changes to no longer under consideration, then you're out of the game. Until then, I think you're still good.

We've been a bit swamped lately with the servicing mission for Hubble coming up, so I know that all the divisions of the Institute are a little behind schedule with some things that are not considered mission critical. If you'd like, I can try to get in touch with the person in charge of notifying applicants tomorrow (I just missed her today) and get more details (not about your application in particular, but if they have sent out decisions, etc.).

unrelated

Post by unrelated » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks agbuff!

I'm still a little confused though, because I had no idea there was somewhere online where I could view my application status. Link me?

Edit: Also, if you bump into the person in charge of notifying applicants, I would be eternally grateful if you could ask if acceptances have been sent out. I'm torn between summer programs, and deadlines are looming :O

activegalaxybuff

Post by activegalaxybuff » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:05 pm

That...is a very good question. I'm just repeating what the person in HR told me, so I'm not sure, though looking at the website I cannot see anywhere you can look up your status. In fact, it just says to email that address. So, I'm going to talk to the person in charge tomorrow and see what I can find out for you.

But, I'm glad to hear you're so interesting in working at STScI. =) It's quite a nice place to work, actually.

unrelated

Post by unrelated » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Yeah, I've heard some great things about it from several people, but this whole massive delay in making decisions and the lack of communication with applicants is just heart wrenching and frankly starting to tick me off. I had to decline other summer research offers to wait for this and they won't even answer my emails, forcing me to post on an internet forum to ask if decisions have been made.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a little bit ridiculous. Not that I wouldn't immediately accept if they took me though :D

activegalaxybuff

Post by activegalaxybuff » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:44 am

Okay, here's what I've found out. There were ~370 applicants for 12 spots and so far they have notified two people. The person actually in charge of notifying successful applicants is out this week, but they said they will send out the rest next week. It took them a bit longer than they hoped because they were trying to secure more funding.

unrelated

Post by unrelated » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:06 pm

awesome, exactly the reassurance I needed to hear. Thanks again!