No votes
not at all
75%

Total votes: 4

minaesm

to suggest universities and progrmas

Post by minaesm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:59 am

Hi
my research area is photonic crystals , but actually just theoretically , loads of calculations , working with some softwares like MPB and MEEP of MIT . In one of the topics they said to apply for Electrical Engineering . I don't know how to start with universities , I just wanted to ask this question in a seperated topic to have a complete source to students like me who have the same goal as mine . So applying for Physics or Electrical Engineering ? this is the first question and the second about universities ? Tnx

excel

Re: to suggest universities and progrmas

Post by excel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:10 pm

I would recommend that you apply to departments with strong research groups that you may potentially want to join, rather than worry whether the department is labelled physics or EE. Unless of course you would rather avoid the subject GRE in which case you should apply to engineering programs only.

I too had a similar dilemna when applying last year because of my interdisciplinary interests. I ended up applying to a mixture of different programs: applied math, biomedical engineering, ME, biophysics, and so forth. That strategy worked fine in terms of acceptances, and when the topic came up during my graduate school visits, the profs generally seemed not to care much about the label of disciplines either.

minaesm

Post by minaesm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:14 am

I want to apply for both Physics and EE , so I have to take PGRE . Is there anyone who is working on photonic crystal who has allready accepted in a program or is applying for fall 2010 ?

minaesm

Post by minaesm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:28 am

excel wrote:I too had a similar dilemna when applying last year because of my interdisciplinary interests. I ended up applying to a mixture of different programs: applied math, biomedical engineering, ME, biophysics, and so forth. That strategy worked fine in terms of acceptances, and when the topic came up during my graduate school visits, the profs generally seemed not to care much about the label of disciplines either.
Were your applications for Phd or Masters?I ask because I want to know the difference .