Choice Between Syracuse and Delaware

s_mn_sn

Choice Between Syracuse and Delaware

Post by s_mn_sn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:08 am

Only two offers, one from Syracuse, the other from U Delaware. Have anyone been to these universities? Which one is better to study and live, as a whole? What about the campus? and the city of Syracuse and Newark?

I've been waiting BU and UMD for almost one month, for the waiting list...

Could any one help?

rohit

Re: Choice Between Syracuse and Delaware

Post by rohit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:34 pm

i'm in at del. newark seems like a better place. still waitin on other schools tho.

murs

Post by murs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:04 pm

delaware is also my only acceptance. Newark seems ok, though I've never been to syracuse. If you're into basketball syracuse might be a better town, but I don't have any major problems with newark other than the lack of mountains (I'm from the rockies and have lived in the mountains my whole life).

Have you visited del? I thought their research seemed decent and some groups have a lot of funding. I'm planning on doing photovoltaics and got accepted into the IGERT prgoram, NSF funded for a 30,000 a year fellowship.

ComboOrgan

Post by ComboOrgan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:20 pm

I grew up in Rochester, which is about an hour or so from Syracuse.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Syracuse, but based on my limited impressions, it's not a terribly exciting city. There's a big college, so there is plenty of stuff to cater to college students, but the rest of the town is typical of any other blue-collar rust-belt town. I've never been to Delaware, but it's probably better than Syracuse

s_mn_sn

Post by s_mn_sn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Many thanks! I love basketball, yet maybe the coldness in syracuse will drive me crazy. If I should choose del, maybe doing spintronics there. I receive a TA for 21,500 there.

As I've found that there are no huge differences between the two, my central question now seems to be that, is syracuse very very very cold?
murs wrote:delaware is also my only acceptance. Newark seems ok, though I've never been to syracuse. If you're into basketball syracuse might be a better town, but I don't have any major problems with newark other than the lack of mountains (I'm from the rockies and have lived in the mountains my whole life).

Have you visited del? I thought their research seemed decent and some groups have a lot of funding. I'm planning on doing photovoltaics and got accepted into the IGERT prgoram, NSF funded for a 30,000 a year fellowship.

s_mn_sn

Post by s_mn_sn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Thanks a lot for your advice. Probably will I end up with Delware, if it proves to be these two offers only at last.
ComboOrgan wrote:I grew up in Rochester, which is about an hour or so from Syracuse.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Syracuse, but based on my limited impressions, it's not a terribly exciting city. There's a big college, so there is plenty of stuff to cater to college students, but the rest of the town is typical of any other blue-collar rust-belt town. I've never been to Delaware, but it's probably better than Syracuse