Advice wanted on app timeline

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

kmwest

Advice wanted on app timeline

Post by kmwest » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:33 am

Hello. I've lurked on here for a bit and would like some advice regarding my situation. I graduated with my BS in physics in 2006, then immediately joined the military (throughout undergrad, I was in an officer program similar to ROTC). I will likely be getting out of the military either in January or August 2010, depending on whether or not I deploy again in the first half of 2010.

I'm looking specifically at the MS astronomy or astrophysics programs at U Minnesota - TC because my fiance' lives there and is loath to quit her job (I am stationed in San Diego, CA). I've taken the general GRE and am studying up to take the PGRE this coming fall. Given my situation, how early should I begin applying, visiting, etc? My fear is that I will take the PGRE in the fall and be in Iraq before my scores come, essentially leaving me to go into grad school without visiting or getting a good feel for a program (assuming I even get accepted). Any help is appreciated.

Ralph

admissionprof

Re: Advice wanted on app timeline

Post by admissionprof » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 am

kmwest wrote:Hello. I've lurked on here for a bit and would like some advice regarding my situation. I graduated with my BS in physics in 2006, then immediately joined the military (throughout undergrad, I was in an officer program similar to ROTC). I will likely be getting out of the military either in January or August 2010, depending on whether or not I deploy again in the first half of 2010.

I'm looking specifically at the MS astronomy or astrophysics programs at U Minnesota - TC because my fiance' lives there and is loath to quit her job (I am stationed in San Diego, CA). I've taken the general GRE and am studying up to take the PGRE this coming fall. Given my situation, how early should I begin applying, visiting, etc? My fear is that I will take the PGRE in the fall and be in Iraq before my scores come, essentially leaving me to go into grad school without visiting or getting a good feel for a program (assuming I even get accepted). Any help is appreciated.

Ralph
Easy. Contact the graduate admissions person at MInnesota (after April 15th this year, of course), tell him/her the situation, and ask to visit the department in the fall. Most will be happy to set things up. We all understand military deployments. Note that you might mention PhD rather than MS---many schools won't take someone who says that they only want an MS.

kmwest

Post by kmwest » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks. I'm also a little concerned about have a few years between undergrad and grad school. Is this common in physics or astronomy grad students?

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:09 pm

kmwest wrote:Thanks. I'm also a little concerned about have a few years between undergrad and grad school. Is this common in physics or astronomy grad students?
Probably not the norm, but I know quite a few grad students who took a few years. Military deployment is also an excellent excuse.