Grad School visits.

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

a bucket

Grad School visits.

Post by a bucket » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm going to Maryland for visit tomorrow. I'm wondering are these extremely formal events?

dlenmn

Re: Grad School visits.

Post by dlenmn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:35 am

Yes, it's white tie only. You did remember to pack your morning dress?

meowful

Post by meowful » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:41 pm

Always appropriate?

Discuss.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I hope you don't actually wear science related clothes. The only good science shirt is the one from xkcd that says, "Science. It works, bitches." And that's only because it has the word "bitches."

meowful

Post by meowful » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:06 pm

For many of the social events on an undergraduate physicist's calendar - from Stat Mech. and Thermo. pset parties to science center lecture hall showings of The Princess Bride - a science t-shirt is the perfect casual attire. As 2 am rolls round and, after 10 pages of algebra, you find that the entropy of your closed system has decreased by a factor of 7 or, due to various projector issues, Westley is only just now fetching Buttercup her bucket, a science t-shirt with even the lamest pun is the perfect excuse for either hysterical laughter or at least an occasion to weep for the Life you once had.

Though my own collection took a sad hit when my "Not Only Space Time has Curves" and "Women Tunneling to Classically Forbidden Regions" t-shirts - both fundraisers for my college's physics club though I'm pretty sure we only managed to sell them to ourselves... - mysteriously disappeared in a laundry room in southern England, I remain the proud owner of a Drake equation t-shirt signed by Frank Drake, a t-shirt featuring my college's observatory, and a conference t-shirt a couple friends dared me to ask the author of my introductory physics textbook to sign. I was very tempted to wear the last one to a dinner with this author that was part of a recent graduate school visit, but at the last minute I came to my senses and wore a cardigan set instead.

Anyway, what about the rest of you? Is a science t-shirt (or several) What Not to Wear or a wardrobe essential?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:14 pm

I have a shirt that says "varsity physics" and I wear it when I work out.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:16 pm

I don't have that shirt and I don't work out.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:58 am

twistor wrote:I don't have that shirt and I don't work out.
This.