Decisions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

evilclaw2321

Decisions

Post by evilclaw2321 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:41 pm

So now that we've started to hear from lots of places and visiting weekends have come or are coming how are people coming with the decision making process?
Have you picked a program? If so why that one? Are you having troubles deciding? How come? Is there any acceptances you have decided for sure you don't want to attend? Why not?

mhazelm

Re: Decisions

Post by mhazelm » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:54 pm

So far I've only been admitted at one school, so easy decision for me. :D

But I've been talking to a professor there a lot, and it seems like an awesome department. They've been extremely friendly, and I think it will be a good experience.

And I still could get into Penn according to the secretary there. In which case, I have no idea how I would choose. It would be a tough call.

G01

Post by G01 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:47 pm

I've gotten into four schools (The last is an interview but I am pretty sure I would have been accepted there.):

Boston University
U Pittsburgh
Penn State
Boston College

Boston College is definitely out. They have a much smaller program than the other three schools. I withdrew my application.

Currently, I'm leaning towards Boston U with Pittsburgh at a close second. I have some experience with Pitt's dept so the Open House at Boston will probably be where I make my decision.

Penn State is in third place right now. They have a large dept, but I don't think I'd be happy living in State College. I am a city dweller. The small town atmosphere doesn't agree with me. I know this seems shallow, since PSU has a lot of research groups and the best ranking of the three schools, but if I have to live there for 6-7 years, then location will have to come into my decision at least a little bit.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:01 pm

G01 wrote:Penn State is in third place right now. They have a large dept, but I don't think I'd be happy living in State College.
I know I nag about this a lot, and it's probably getting annoying, but if you have visited Pitt and PSU, and you prefer Pitt, why not immediately withdraw from PSU? It would make somebody else (maybe a contributor to this site) very happy.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:05 pm

admissionprof wrote: I know I nag about this a lot, and it's probably getting annoying, but if you have visited Pitt and PSU, and you prefer Pitt, why not immediately withdraw from PSU? It would make somebody else (maybe a contributor to this site) very happy.
I didnt notice that immediately but it is hilariously sad especially due to the lack of a gap between posts.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:15 pm

cato88 wrote:I didnt notice that immediately but it is hilariously sad especially due to the lack of a gap between posts.
huh? english, please.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:44 pm

My comment is referring to my feeling on the dynamics between the 2nd and 3rd post but I didnt want to shine a bigger spotlight on it so I referred to it as "that" .

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Heh, yeah, some of us could possibly benefit from the spot PSU offered you, if you're pretty sure you won't take it.

* Wink wink nudge nudge * :wink:

MrKite

Post by MrKite » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Im am choosing between Penn State, University of Virginia and University of Oregon. Im no longer considering Rochester or Colorado State.

Its gonna be a tough choice, because I think I will be happy and do good research at any of them... Im bringing my wife so her career needs to be considered as well, which may mean that Penn State is out due to small town. Between Oregon and Virginia Im leaning toward Virginia but have yet to visit Oregon.

This is gonna be a gut wrenching month!

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:26 pm

MrKite wrote:Im am choosing between Penn State, University of Virginia and University of Oregon. Im no longer considering Rochester or Colorado State.
UVA is supposed to have a really nice campus. That would be a tough choice. I did have one professor recommend Oregon (but that was for more astro things, not sure what you're considering). Are you and east coast or west coast kind of guy?

MrKite

Post by MrKite » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Im certainly a west coast guy. And also have a streak of hippy/dead head in me. Oregon would conform to that, but in VA I could experience a different culture and stretch myself. Of course in the end the academics are more important, I think that VA beats OR in that (I think...).

How about you? I dont see your choices posted. Have a tough one or an easy one?

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:27 am

Well at this point I only have one acceptance-British Columbia-which im actually really excited about it was one of my top choices. I'm alittle nervous about some funding questions but hopefully that will be worked out at the visit this week.
I'm still waiting on uva, boston, northwestern, and mcmaster, all of which I'd consider. I think I have a good chance at mcmaster because I had a good contact going on with some professors there and I really like the research they're doing.

Vancouver would also be great tho for my future husband whos going to school for video game design and vancouver is the capital of that in canada with dozens of animation and design companies.

sonikajohri

Post by sonikajohri » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:18 am

Hi, first post but been reading this site a long, long time.

I've gotten into Caltech, Princeton(Electronic Materials and Devices, Elec Engg), Cornell, Michigan (Applied Phys), Maryland.

I am not too sure what specific research area I want to work in since my experience has been pretty limited. I did a project on nanoparticles which I definitely did NOT like since it was only about making them and studying their properties. One was on Venus atmosphere which was again a lot of data analysis. I worked with lasers in a cold atoms group, and currently I am modelling atoms in optical lattices - both of these I liked very, very much. So I can't say whether I would be more inclined experimentally or theoretically, only that I like using quantum mechanics and I don't like experimental work in which a machine does all the work and you only have to analyze the results.

So does anyone have any idea where I'll fit in best.

And I somehow never receive ANY reply from caltech - from the secretary or any prof. Anyone else facing the same problem. I'm from India so I can't visit.
Thanks.