questions about Brown

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

microbaby

questions about Brown

Post by microbaby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Anybody got Brown's official letter? Is $19,000 enough to live in the urban area in Providence? Just got the official letter in a "thin plain" envelope( which I thought would have been a big and thick envelope...) Did you guys get any other information in the mail ? Like information on housing and other expenses... ?

astrofan

Re: questions about Brown

Post by astrofan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 pm

I also got accepted to Brown, and got the same envelope. Let me tell you that $19,000 is a lot of money for Providence, RI (plus the fact that it is 19 for the academic year, plus whatever they pay you over the summer). No info given on housing or other expenses. I don't know for sure, but I would assume that summer RA or TA would be at least $4,000; which means ~$23,000 for the year. In comparison, my offer at Boston University was only $17,000 for the academic year. If I had to guess, I would say that at the very least $23,000 in Providence is at least $30,000 NYC, and at least $28,000 in Boston. That is just a guess, having lived near Boston and having friends at both Brown and NYU.

Providence, RI is a very small city; it is not even Boston. It is "urban", but not very expensive. If you get an apartment near campus, the rent could be high (perhaps as high as $600/month). However, keep in mind that the city is really only a few miles wide (from Brown to the mall/amtrack station is like like 2 miles). You could easily find rent much lower if you didn't care where you lived, and biked/drived to work.

I was surprised at how high the offer was, considering it is RI.

microbaby

Post by microbaby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks, astrofan! Really good information! Seems the money is good enough already for a comfortable living in Providence.

also, looks like Brown doesn't have an "open house"...

detunedradio

Post by detunedradio » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:25 pm

Ha, thanks, that makes me feel much better about the same offer Brown gave me.
I'm living in Boston right now, so I looked at those numbers and was like, "well, I guess I could live on that... sorta."

No open house is weird. I think I'll just show up and wander around the physics department until I can get somebody to reimburse me my $16 in travel expenses.

All I got was the little envelope with the "Do you like me? Check yes or no." card. I suppose there could be more information on the way, but I think that's it.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:02 pm

Yeah, when I called they said that every student will be set up for a visit. I feel like that wastes more of their time, and is not better for the students. I for one would like to meet some of the prospective students.

You should ask the graduate students about the night life in Providence, if that is something that would interest you. In my opinon, it is a well kept secret of Brown, as most college students in Boston do not venture the 45 miles to Providence. It is actually sort of over the top, so I guess it might turn some people off.

Argonic

Post by Argonic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 pm

I also got the Brown offer over 19K / year and was very worried that it would not be enough. About how much is left of that after paying rent in Providence? Boston University offered me 18,200 for the year and 9,100 for the summer. Is that enough for a comfortable living there? I looked at apartment rents online and even small apartments cost about 1300 / month in Boston.

I plan to visit the Brown campus, when are you all going?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Argonic wrote:I also got the Brown offer over 19K / year and was very worried that it would not be enough. About how much is left of that after paying rent in Providence? Boston University offered me 18,200 for the year and 9,100 for the summer. Is that enough for a comfortable living there? I looked at apartment rents online and even small apartments cost about 1300 / month in Boston.

guys, google "cost of living comparison" and you can compare your salary from one city to the other and see how they stack up against the national average by category (housing, food, etc)

Argonic

Post by Argonic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Yeah, I did that, but I figured a graduated student might have different expenses than a typical person. I just wanted to hear from someone who lives there.

markl

Post by markl » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Providence is certainly cheaper than Boston, it is also a much much smaller city with significantly less to do. I think 19k should be enough to live in Providence, even in Boston with a roommate that is enough.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:12 am

Argonic wrote:I also got the Brown offer over 19K / year and was very worried that it would not be enough. About how much is left of that after paying rent in Providence? Boston University offered me 18,200 for the year and 9,100 for the summer. Is that enough for a comfortable living there? I looked at apartment rents online and even small apartments cost about 1300 / month in Boston.

Wow, is the summer stipened usually the same pay as the academic year. I figured it would be less.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 am

Doesnt make sense why would you get paid the same for 1.5 months less work.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:58 am

cato88 wrote:Doesnt make sense why would you get paid the same for 1.5 months less work.
That is what I was thinking. Over $3,000 a month seems a bit much for the summer.

Really wish the schools would tell you what you would make over the summer as a TA or RA in their offer. Giving an academic year stipend figure is sort of useless. I know that will be the first question I ask at the open house.

Argonic

Post by Argonic » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 am

astrofan wrote:
cato88 wrote:Doesnt make sense why would you get paid the same for 1.5 months less work.
That is what I was thinking. Over $3,000 a month seems a bit much for the summer.
They just pay 2275 a month. 8 months "year" and 4 months "summer". Let me paste what they wrote:

i) a stipend of $18,200 consisting of a Teaching Fellowship during the 8
month academic year; ii) a guaranteed $9,100 of support during the
summer months of your first year, either as a teaching fellow or
research assistant;

microbaby

Post by microbaby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am

Have you guys decided when to visit Brown?

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:04 am

um, they didn't give me an option...

My prefered week is this week, but I haven't heard back from the person, have you?

microbaby

Post by microbaby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 am

astrofan wrote:um, they didn't give me an option...

My prefered week is this week, but I haven't heard back from the person, have you?
Did you also choose another time? I've filled out the form and sent it to them, yet no reply...
Next two weeks will be OK for me actually...

Argonic

Post by Argonic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:47 am

I will be there next week.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 am

The other time I put down was 2 weeks from now. I just thought it was funny that this week was an option and they have not responded yet.

microbaby

Post by microbaby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Argonic wrote:I will be there next week.
Did you hear back from them?

microbaby

Post by microbaby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:16 pm

astrofan wrote:The other time I put down was 2 weeks from now. I just thought it was funny that this week was an option and they have not responded yet.
Maybe they are not ready this week... 8)

Argonic

Post by Argonic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 pm

microbaby wrote:
I talked to them on the phone. And I think I will call again to confirm but probably not until Thursday or so to give them a little bit of time.

microbaby

Post by microbaby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Argonic wrote:
microbaby wrote:
I talked to them on the phone. And I think I will call again to confirm but probably not until Thursday or so to give them a little bit of time.
I tried to call... but never got through their line... :?