Particle physics at Stanford

• As many already know, studying for the physics GRE and getting accepted into a graduate program is not the final hurdle in your physics career.
  • There are many issues current physics graduate students face such as studying for their qualifier, deciding upon a field of research, choosing an advisor, being an effective teaching assistant, trying to have a social life, navigating department politics, dealing with stress, utilizing financial aid, etc.

Soso

Particle physics at Stanford

Post by Soso » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:43 am

Hello,
I just have been accepted in Stanford and I am looking for the current projects in particle physics in the university. I have looked on their website and have found that four faculty members do research in experimental particle physics but almost only in astroparticles or neutrino physics. On the SLAC website, I have read that SLAC is involved in many various projects, like ATLAS or the ILC as well as GLAST, but I don't quite understand the relations between the lab and the university. Is it possible to work in a group directed by a researcher of the SLAC who is not a faculty member? Next year, would it be opportunities for new students to be involved in international projects like ATLAS?
Thank you very much

Helio

Re: Particle physics at Stanford

Post by Helio » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:54 am

SLAC is a department of energy lab operated by Stanford, so basically DOE pumps in money and Stanford runs the show. The scientist that work there are most separate outside of th faculty members of course. SLAC runs BABAR for the most part atm (there is one faculty member that is part of that) and then there is the applied physics people that have one person in accelerator R&D.