What would be a good scores for top 12 program?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Pchemist

What would be a good scores for top 12 program?

Post by Pchemist » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:19 am

What would be a good scores for American students to get into top 12. I know Columbia, their average is like 890, but the accepted people with scores as lower as 650. Is the high average score skewed by the international applicants with high 900s?

does anyone know the average gre scores for Yale graduate school?

thank

Ghagnastiac

Post by Ghagnastiac » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:28 am

Sorry, I dont know the answer to your question, but I seriously doubt that Columbia's average Physics GRE score is 890 -- that seems a bit high to me. I know that, on their website, they posted an illegible chart that shows the scores of accepted applicants, but it's completely worthless

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/physics/images/grescores.jpg

I'm curious, where did you get that number?

Pchemist

Post by Pchemist » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:49 am

I got it from the Physics Admission Office: Who know, that's the average, I don't know about their median.

artist

Post by artist » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:55 am

I don't know about Columbia, but Colorado's info on the physics GRE is very enlightening:

720-730 average for domestic applicants
880-890 average for international applicants

check it out here: http://www.colorado.edu/physics/Web/edu ... g/prep.pdf

That makes me feel a little better about my 720 (I'm from the US), although I didn't apply to Colorado. (I'm assuming these scores are for admitted students and not just applicants, since that's what other institutions list, but I could be wrong.)

braindrain

Post by braindrain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:05 am

That colorado web site is calling the GREs placement tests.
That's odd to call it a placement test. Does that mean if you
get a lower score you are placed into remedial physics for
poets the minute you arrive ? :)