How bad does it look to take a gen. ed class pass/fail?

mhazelm

How bad does it look to take a gen. ed class pass/fail?

Post by mhazelm » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Hey guys,

Do you think it is a bad idea to take a depth general ed. class as Pass/Fail?

I'm maxed on credits this semester, and the class requires about 250 pages of reading a week plus listening (it's a music class). I would really rather focus on quantum II and my graduate math class and research (plus my other 2 physics classes), so I am thinking of taking the class P/F so that I can put in minimal effort without sacrificing my GPA. But will that look really bad to admissions committees? It's just a music class, not part of my major or even part of a minor - just a requirement to graduate. But I don't want to do it and have it bite me later down the road. I can probably get a B if I don't change to P/F (but I don't like B's), but that will hurt my total GPA.

What do you all think?

fastones3

Re: How bad does it look to take a gen. ed class pass/fail?

Post by fastones3 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:06 pm

I don't think it matters one bit... I've taken physics classes P/F and I've gotten some decent offers, so I doubt they really care at all about gen ed classes.

fastones3

Post by fastones3 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Actually, now that I think of it, I've had several gen ed courses where the professors offer easier course requirements (have to write less papers) if the students choose to take it P/F. I think admission folks realize this and as long as it's not a requirement for your major (i.e. QM/CM/EM/SM), then no biggie.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Grades in general ed classes really don't matter. I usually don't really look at the overall GPA, as well---rather I look at the grades in math and physics classes. I would NOT take a physics class pass/fail--yes, some can get away with it, but I'd look down on it.

But make sure you pass. We had one applicant who got an F in human sexuality...

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:37 pm

admissionprof wrote:Grades in general ed classes really don't matter. I usually don't really look at the overall GPA, as well---rather I look at the grades in math and physics classes. I would NOT take a physics class pass/fail--yes, some can get away with it, but I'd look down on it.

But make sure you pass. We had one applicant who got an F in human sexuality...
This makes me feel better, considering my 3.0's in things like "Intro to Music" and "Intro to Canadian Studies" that pulled down my overall GPA.

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:42 am

admissionprof wrote: But make sure you pass. We had one applicant who got an F in human sexuality...
lol.

I assume that was a joke?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 am

astrofan wrote:
admissionprof wrote: But make sure you pass. We had one applicant who got an F in human sexuality...
lol.

I assume that was a joke?
Actually, it was not a joke. We didn't ask (and we accepted the applicant, since everything else was terrific---eventually, they went somewhere else). One committee member suggested that maybe they failed the lab....(that part WAS a joke..)