international students in the US

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

myumla

international students in the US

Post by myumla » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:33 pm

Does anyone know how do grad schools look at the international students who went to american schools as undergrads? Are they viewed as international in terms of limited funding and domestic as far as the subject GRE goes? I know international students are expected to perform better on the sub test, but just want to make sure it only applies to the ones who haven't been educated in the states...

Also, as an international student who has only been here for 3 years, do you think I would still have an excuse for a not-so-great (probably around 500, or slightly less) verbal GRE? :oops:

jormiga

Post by jormiga » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Keep in mind that the admission process at any place is subjective. You just have to convince the committee that you are worthy of being accepted. They know that if you are US educated, your scores will tend to be lower, and you will be compared against domestic students. It is also true that after that, you will be subject to the bureaucracy and it will be more difficult to get funding for you.

The verbal GRE can make a positive difference in your profile if its very high, but if it is around 500, which by the way is around 50%, it will not harm you. Don't worry too much about that.

Good luck.

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 pm

Don't worry about it. I know alot of people that have been speaking English for 21-22 years and scored lower on the verbal.

JackSkellington

Post by JackSkellington » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Yeh- the first time I took it I got a 490!! And ive been speaking English for over 22 yrs...(albeit poorly :wink: )

myumla

Post by myumla » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:15 am

thanks! Hope that is true for top schools too, I'd hate to get rejected from somewhere just because of verbal - so far I got 420, 540, 480, and 490 on the practice tests...