Putting a Face to Statistics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

naseermk

Putting a Face to Statistics

Post by naseermk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Here is an attempt to impart a perspective on job losses that you hear in the news.

Last week, our VP announced that there would be layoffs this week at our chip manufacturing plant [Class 10 clean room facility]. This is in addition to a 20% RIF last September.
So, today is the last day before a reduction in force comes into effect tomorrow. In the least, its a tough time. For coworkers who have families, mortgages and those who have looked upon their careers as a long time commitment, its a hard day today. It seems everyone is saying bye to everyone else.

If this situation does not abate, many of us who'll be entering graduate school will face a tough world - a world where US might not be the dominant force anymore.

nonick

Re: Putting a Face to Statistics

Post by nonick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:51 pm

there are still manufacturing plants in America? I thought all the factories were already shipped to China and India...
/s

Theoretischer

Post by Theoretischer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Last edited by Theoretischer on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 pm

nonick wrote:there are still manufacturing plants in America? I thought all the factories were already shipped to China and India...
/s
nope intel and amd still have them in the USA, namly in silicon valley (DUH!!!!) and arizona

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:09 pm

The man proves Poincare Conjecture and the prize is 7000 pounds. Hahaha I cant believe a fields medal comes with 7000 pounds you could get more money in an episode of Who wants to be a millionaire answering a question on Brangelina or Deal or No Deal guessing numbers and saying yes or no.

At least the Clay institute does better but only if you solve a handful of unsolved problems but..

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 pm

cato88 wrote:The man proves Poincare Conjecture and the prize is 7000 pounds. Hahaha I cant believe a fields medal comes with 7000 pounds you could get more money in an episode of Who wants to be a millionaire answering a question on Brangelina
:lol: :lol:

This is why physics is so unfair. The people that know about Brangelina make more money than we do.