REU

arfken

REU

Post by arfken » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:50 am

Hi Guys. I am an international student looking for a good research experience.

Do you know any internship opportunities that are open for those who are studying or had studied at a foreign university?

I know of three:
1. LIGO
2. Caltech SURF
3. CERN

Helio

Re: REU

Post by Helio » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:37 pm

arfken wrote:Hi Guys. I am an international student looking for a good research experience.

Do you know any internship opportunities that are open for those who are studying or had studied at a foreign university?

I know of three:
1. LIGO
2. Caltech SURF
3. CERN

Which CERN one are you talking about the Michigan one? I wanted to apply to that one and they were really sneeky by not mentioning that for internationals it is like 100 times harder

arfken

Post by arfken » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:10 pm

[/quote]
Which CERN one are you talking about the Michigan one? I wanted to apply to that one and they were really sneeky by not mentioning that for internationals it is like 100 times harder[/quote]

I found out in the website of CERN that there is a limited number of "studentships for students from nonmember states." I think you will apply directly to them. I tried applying once. However, our first semester (which is from June to October) is in conflict with the apprenticeship period which is in summer term of most western schools. Thus, I backed down since the internship would require me to leave school for awhile. But by my final year, I plan on having a research internship abroad in addition to what I now have in our country. I won't care if it is in conflict with our first semester. I pretty sure I can maximize the experience since I have gotten some advance subjects by then.

astrophysicist2b

Post by astrophysicist2b » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:52 pm

I don't know what field you're looking for, but STScI has a program that I've heard is open to internationals.