dress code for the open houses

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

nonick

dress code for the open houses

Post by nonick » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:11 pm

I know that this may be a silly question, but is there any proper dress code for when visiting schools?
I was thinking of khakis and a shirt?

valkyrie

Re: dress code for the open houses

Post by valkyrie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 pm

nonick wrote:I know that this may be a silly question, but is there any proper dress code for when visiting schools?
I was wondering about the same, especially for females (there are just so many more options than for guys!). While (I hope) visits are less formal than interviews, showing up in sweatpants probably isn't making the best impression either. Some guidance from people who did this last year would be much appreciated :)

fastones3

Post by fastones3 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Having seen prospective students at my school, it appears it's really casual. Shorts, Tshirts, etc. I don't see any shame in wearing some nicer casual type outfits, as long as it's not over the top. A suit to admit weekend might be a little too much!

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Multiple popped collar polo shirts are required or you will be summarily unaccepted. This man is your role model.

As for women, all 5 of you can decide amongst yourselves...

Seriously, wear what you normally do. Unless that includes a bow-tie.

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:47 pm

dlenmn wrote:Multiple popped collar polo shirts are required or you will be summarily unaccepted. This man is your role model.

at least i won't catch death from consumption when i come to madison

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:49 pm

dlenmn wrote:Multiple popped collar polo shirts are required or you will be summarily unaccepted. This man is your role model.

Too bad I'm female... I envy the guys that go to the open houses in polo shirts embroidered with strippers on a pole.

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:50 pm

PoincareSection wrote:
Too bad I'm female... I envy the guys that go to the open houses in polo shirts embroidered with strippers on a pole.
better than a polo shirt with 200 polo players that is for sure :lol: :lol:

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Unless you have to interview, don't worry about what you're wearing. They've already accepted you.

astrophysicist2b

Post by astrophysicist2b » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:38 pm

unless you're going to an ivy, where you'll be expected to wear a suit and sip afternoon tea while discussing the role of the country of vanuatu on physics policy in the u.s.,while concurrently coming up with a confirmable theory that explains dark energy.

metric

Post by metric » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:42 pm

So I guess that this would be considered a no no...

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:59 pm

metric wrote:So I guess that this would be considered a no no...

i think if you show up like that in Madison I might get a room by myself cause you will be in hospital from hypothermia

metric

Post by metric » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Oh man... so you mean that I bought it for nothing??!! :D

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:14 pm

metric wrote:Oh man... so you mean that I bought it for nothing??!! :D
maybe to impress your spouse? You can always try to go swimming in the lake :P

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:06 pm

nonick wrote:I know that this may be a silly question, but is there any proper dress code for when visiting schools?
Everyone just wears the clothes they normally wear to school. You're already accepted. This is just where they try to bribe you into coming by telling you how smart you are and feeding you delicious free food and getting you drunk at night! :D Enjoy your visits!! They are a blast.

Excalibur1986

Post by Excalibur1986 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:00 pm

Would y'all recommend wearing a suit or just a shirt and tie if you are interviewing?

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Dress however you want, most people will still respect you.

Keep saying "ya'll" and nobody will.

Excalibur1986

Post by Excalibur1986 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:24 am

twistor wrote:Dress however you want, most people will still respect you.

Keep saying "ya'll" and nobody will.
Once again, your unearthly omnipotence astounds me. Yer teacher's learned you something fierce. Were you beaten by a southerner as a child? I'm sure the cancer patients that you will help treat in the future are going to love your condescending comments.

excel

Post by excel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:40 am

@excalibur,

At my interviews, I used to wear shirt without any tie. There were a few applicants who wore suit or shirt with tie, but mostly from what I remember, dressing semi-casually was the norm.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:36 am

Funny thing: I'm going to a conference next week (not presenting) and yesterday asked one of older grad students this exact question. Apparently the answer for conferences is the same as for open houses: people in academia could not care less about what you wear.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:24 am

zxcv wrote:Funny thing: I'm going to a conference next week (not presenting) and yesterday asked one of older grad students this exact question. Apparently the answer for conferences is the same as for open houses: people in academia could not care less about what you wear.
Uh... are you a speaker at this conference? I had to dress nice when I gave a talk.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:21 am

grae313 wrote:
zxcv wrote:Funny thing: I'm going to a conference next week (not presenting) and yesterday asked one of older grad students this exact question. Apparently the answer for conferences is the same as for open houses: people in academia could not care less about what you wear.
Uh... are you a speaker at this conference? I had to dress nice when I gave a talk.
Nope, no presenting for me this time. If I were giving a talk I think I would dress up at least a bit for it. It's also possible the advanced student I heard this from doesn't really know her stuff.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:47 pm

zxcv wrote:Nope, no presenting for me this time. If I were giving a talk I think I would dress up at least a bit for it. It's also possible the advanced student I heard this from doesn't really know her stuff.
Well I guess it could definitely depend on the conference, but I did not see any jeans/tshirts!