Info needed-Astrophysics admission requirements in Top USA U

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Xyclops

Info needed-Astrophysics admission requirements in Top USA U

Post by Xyclops » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:51 am

Hi,
i m a undergraduate student of Theoritical physicis.Want to b admitted astrophysics.I m not from Usa. I want to khow the requirements in top grad schools like harvard and princeton.I mean the grad points, GRE Scores and will i b surely rejected without undergraduate research?Who r the people getting scholarship and fellowship?
Can u tell name of top universities 4 ASTROPHYSICS? Thnx bye.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:17 am

Hi.

My impression is that, at least for the top schools, unless your marks etc . look EXTREMELY good, no undergrad research is going to be a serious defect in your application. But, you say you study theoretical physics. What does that mean? In the US, we study different things, from stat mech, to qm, to our lab courses, part of it is theory, part is lab. so, unless you're delving into qft, gr, etc. , what makes theoretical part of your study program? just curious.

somebody

Post by somebody » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:27 am

depends on what field you want but caltech, harvard, berkeley, arizona, santa cruz, princeton (for theoretical stuff) are all good

Xyclops

Ya just like U

Post by Xyclops » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:28 am

Ya we study everything u said-qtm,gr,st mech and lab cource etc.We have two dept. App ph & physics. We say the 2nd one theoritical ph. But i dont like elec. & mag ,solide st. But astrophysics is great.I want ths in msc.But was worried abt rsrch.Thnx.By