Acceptance with GRE but no undergrad ?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Kalid

Acceptance with GRE but no undergrad ?

Post by Kalid » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:25 pm

Is anyone aware of any schools (in Canada ideally, though anywhere in North America will do) that will accept you as a Masters or PhD student without possessing an undergraduate degree, provided your Physics GRE is excellent or exceptional?

Though I have a BA and covered a fair bit of physics and math as electives, my marks are quite scattered (Everything from Fs to %100 A+s ) due to various cycles of not caring, lacking maturity, lack of interest, etc. In other words in terms of grad school admission my undergrad is useless.

The best option would likely be to take another undergrad degree in physics, stay focused and do very well, however I do not wish to put the time and money a second undergrad degree that when I can (and largely have) learned on my own.

I am confident I can do very well on the Physics GRE, and if need be also on the general GRE, however if there is no school which will accept a student on these alone there isn't much point in me writing the test. Sadly my search so far has not found any such school, so I'm throwing the question out on here.

invidia

Post by invidia » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:06 am

I don't think there is a school that will accept someone into their graduate program without an undergrad degree. And to be accepted into a grad school, you'll need more than good test scores. You'll need academic recommendations, real research experience, etc.

But if you DO have an undergrad degree, you cannot completely ignore it and drop it. What's there is there. Most grad schools would require you to mention all degrees and schools you went to/obtained.

artschoolapplicant

Post by artschoolapplicant » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:02 am

Need more information...do you have research experience...did you self study all the physics you know...etc. etc.??

After I find out where I get in (if I get in anywhere), I will post all my stats so you can see...
I'm sort of in the same boat as you.

imagine

Post by imagine » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:12 am

So what would be the original poster's best option, in your opinion?