What about Biophysics Programs?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

nimbus

What about Biophysics Programs?

Post by nimbus » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:09 pm

I´ve not seen any topic, comment, idea, message, desire or anything else about biophysics wich is my issue. Any help about applications?

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:02 pm

my friend is at ucsf in biophysics.

he, to my knowledge, had no background in bio other than an intro bio course, but had a physics degree, so i dunno.

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:07 am

I am applying to biophysics programs right now, actually.

Any specific questions? I work for a guy who is a biochemist who is published in biophysics journals all the time...I can answer most questions.

nimbus

Any chance?

Post by nimbus » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:00 am

I´m a Chilean applying to a Biophysics Program to a few universities in the USA.
Toefl 277
GREQ 800
GREV440
2 publications in the US and 1,5-2 years of research in Ion Channels Thermodinamics
1 good, 2 very good letters of rec
Any chance?

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:42 am

Depends on the school...check minimum TOEFL/Verbal results for foreign students....otherwise you'll get in somewhere, I wouldn't worry about it.

My research advisor is very well known, his recommendation alone pretty much gets me anywhere I want to go.

nimbus

application

Post by nimbus » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Toefl score is much above the minimum :D
Don´t know about GREV
Two of my recommenders are well known, I guess; however from the distance (Chile) is not easy to say.
Any examples about universities?

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:51 pm

Check out http://www.biophysics.org ... specifically http://www.biophysics.org/education/gradprogram.asp

Check all that applies to you, and it'll let you know what's going on.

nimbus

Dizzy

Post by nimbus » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:22 pm

I took a look at the website and got dizzy,navigating from one to another, very helpful however. I had already considered several. My real trouble is applying to a selected number of universities that allow me to have a good chance to be accepted at least in one.

artschoolapplicant

Post by artschoolapplicant » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:26 am

tnoviell, you are the expert on this, but I would suggest the person from Chile apply to a range of mid to high level LARGE state schools, with a few less prestigious ones thrown in

big state schools (I think) can afford to have first year pure research types who maybe haven't yet learned all the english necessary for holding down TA tutorials (yeah, I definitely dont think that's the case with you nimbus, i really have no idea...but i think that's a lot of the bullshit rap foreign students get)

what i'm recalling is someone from Europe with a profile up last year who got rejected from super-prestige schools (Harvard, Stanford, somewhere else) with a 990 physicsgre but got into university of illinois urbana-

is that helpful at all?

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:31 am

Lol, don't consider me an expert please.

I would tell anyone to apply anywhere they want - but to apply to realistic places as well. I think your idea is good too.