application check portals

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

sirius

application check portals

Post by sirius » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:03 pm

After applying to ten schools, I've found that a few of them have online portals to check my application status. In most cases, these say my application is not complete, and when I contact the dept, they are found to be complete. Why provide these online systems when they are obviously not working?

grae313

Re: application check portals

Post by grae313 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:19 pm

sirius wrote:After applying to ten schools, I've found that a few of them have online portals to check my application status. In most cases, these say my application is not complete, and when I contact the dept, they are found to be complete. Why provide these online systems when they are obviously not working?
If the application deadline was well over a month ago, I could begin to get annoyed by out of date portals.

It's only January, and no school has hired someone dedicated to entering in the states of all of the materials of hundreds of applicants. Give them time to catch up.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:42 pm

grae313 wrote: It's only January, and no school has hired someone dedicated to entering in the states of all of the materials of hundreds of applicants. Give them time to catch up.
Johns Hopkins portal automatically match the test scores with appl. UT also updates the portals immediately.
the time is not matter, though they don't care this side.

xudis149

Post by xudis149 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 pm

I am applying to 15 places and only Rutgers online status checking worked perfectly...

I ordered the GRE scores on dec 22 and by dec 26th they updated it as "received" in the online portal. Same goes for other things like TOEFL, Trancripts....

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:40 pm

sidharthsp wrote:I am applying to 15 places and only Rutgers online status checking worked perfectly...

I ordered the GRE scores on dec 22 and by dec 26th they updated it as "received" in the online portal. Same goes for other things like TOEFL, Trancripts....
I applied to Rutgers and the portal says nothing about transcripts from my second school and my CV which I sent separately. I emailed the grad admissions people about it, and got an email back saying that every email they receive is an interruption to their work flow. They sound like lovely people.

PhysicsPdx

Post by PhysicsPdx » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:57 pm

It is strange that it varies so much from person to person. I've applied to 14 programs and 1 fellowship and every one of them shows all of my material as accounted for.

I did send all of the transcripts and test scores way early, then submitted my applications near the deadline (when I had the statements finished). But, two of my recommenders waited until the last minute (literally!) on most of the applications. Yet, they still showed up almost immediately.

I have no clue.