Censorship is the devil

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Fritz.Zwicky

Censorship is the devil

Post by Fritz.Zwicky » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Somebody did some major post-cutting here. Not that I was too attached to any of my brilliant posts, but whoever did that, please explain how the censorship works on this site, it seems rather randomly applied.

Fritz "They Are Censoring Me Again" Zwicky

dlenmn

Re: Cornell 2009 admissions

Post by dlenmn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:59 pm

It's Grant's site, so he does what he wants. He spells out some of the policies on the FAQ, and there was much discussion last year in this thread.

The posts were just a series of personal attacks completely unrelated to the original topic (which some people might have found useful, but was buried by your posts) and to the purpose of these forums as a whole. It's not surprising that they went poof.

That said, I think twistor's economic insight is correct (also see what happened to Cornell's endowment -- another reason why more TAs might not be in the cards).

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:59 am

I was the only major opposition to censorship on this site. Nobody spoke up so this is what you get.

Fritz.Zwicky

Post by Fritz.Zwicky » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:53 pm

twistor wrote:I was the only major opposition to censorship on this site. Nobody spoke up so this is what you get.
Well, we agree on this one. Since I don't like censorship, especially randomly applied, I am now gone from this site, so this is my last post (not that I expect anybody to miss me too much).

Fritz "Frak Censorship" Zwicky

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Fritz.Zwicky wrote:
twistor wrote:I was the only major opposition to censorship on this site. Nobody spoke up so this is what you get.
Well, we agree on this one. Since I don't like censorship, especially randomly applied, I am now gone from this site, so this is my last post (not that I expect anybody to miss me too much).

Fritz "Frak Censorship" Zwicky

How is it random? You two take a normal thread and spend 20 posts spewing cuss words at each other, and the completely irrelevant and obnoxious posts were deleted. Start a thread in the lounge for cussing each other out if you want, but don't do it here.

quizivex

Re: Censorship is the devil

Post by quizivex » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm

grae313 wrote:Start a thread in the lounge for cussing each other out if you want, but don't do it here.
I sense a poll coming... and ah, the legacy of 400nm lives on :lol: :
On 2/21/08, 400nm wrote:twistor, you obviously think that what happened to me is just fine, as do several guys on this site, or all of you wouldn't have stood up for RG and thought the male locker room was a great idea. So from my viewpoint, the forum did not take care of itself. If it had, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Just to summarize what I said before, I think it's a good idea for entire threads that are off-topic to be moved to (or started in) the |L|O|U|N|G|E|,and that posts which are hateful/offensive that are directed at another person should be deleted, or at least responded to, if that person reports them.
twistor wrote:I give up. Enjoy the new and very boring physicsgre.com.
twistor wrote:The lounge is where polls go to die.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 pm

quizivex wrote:...
Just to make my position clear, I don't care if off topic, and/or hateful, and/or explicit threads are started in the prospective grad students forum, but I do object when the squabble of two people completely derails a thread like it did. When every conversation starts turning into "*** you," and "go eat a dick" then the flavor of the forum changes.

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Go eat a ....

sandwich.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:24 pm

twistor wrote:sandwich.

mmmmm

I love...

sandwiches