Dont ya just LOVE it!?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

skozmedia

Dont ya just LOVE it!?

Post by skozmedia » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:49 am

Dear Forum,

You know, with all the angst on this website, no one here really just takes time to appreciate the sheer fun of applying for graduate school. I love writing these personal statements, they make me feel good about myself. And those little "institution-specific" paragraphs... ah, just great. I love fantasizing about going to God-knows-where.

And who here DOESN'T get a thrill when he or she receives a confirmation email saying that one of your previous advisors likes you enough to send in a lengthy recommendation letter? And you get like four in a day, fantastic!

Best of all, we are now entering that great limbo period where nothing we do has huge consequences, unlike previous paranoia about how grades would affect graduation/acceptance. Now we are free to be ourselves (well, freer), and look forward to an exciting environment where we can DIVE into the stuff we love! And think of all the cool things we're going to learn. I don't know about you, but some of the stuff on these graduate school syllabi are things I would simply not want to die without learning.

Sincerely,
Gushing in Edinburgh (temporarily, moving back to The States soon)

phun

Post by phun » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:40 pm

I support your attitude. It is sort of exciting, to think of it.

JackSkellington

Post by JackSkellington » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:26 pm

I wish I could be so positive- Im stressed out, worrying about whether my statement of purpose is pure crap or if my recommenders will make the deadline or if my GRE physics is high enough (ive refused to check it until im all done applying, lest I become too discouraged). Im not exactly having a blast like you seem to be, although I guess its nice to have challenges in life...

However, I would agree in a couple respects. First, even tho im a little afraid im not getting in anywhere, it is exciting to think that MAYBE ill get in somewhere I really want to go. Second, omg, I cannot wait till im all done and I can just enjoy the rest of college w/o worrying too much about grades (unless I have to apply again next year!!)

I miss halo and beer pong deeply......

skozmedia

Post by skozmedia » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:42 am

Well, if we're applying to grad school, we BETTER enjoy the process. Otherwise, we're doing something we hate, out of lack of imagination for doing anything better.

tj_wants_in

Post by tj_wants_in » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:07 am

The thing that bothers me is the cost. I'm flat broke and begging money from my parents in order to pay applications fees makes me feel bad.