HEP theory-- bad GRE but good Physics GRE score??

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

astromandi

HEP theory-- bad GRE but good Physics GRE score??

Post by astromandi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 am

What are the chances of getting admitted to a good university for High Energy Theory if someone scores very badly in General GRE
Say Q=800 V=350 AW=3.0 :shock: :shock: :shock:

but does pretty well in Subject GRE
990 :D :D
with very good recommendations and GPA.

What schools one must aim at for HEP theory ?? :?: :?: :?:

surjective

Re: HEP theory-- bad GRE but good Physics GRE score??

Post by surjective » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Chances are pretty good. So you can't write or speak english... That's not reallly too big a deal. You have shown that you know some basic physics and arithmetic, and were willing to put in the effort to score well on these exams.

Assuming your other credential are good, you should do fine.

naseermk

Post by naseermk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:50 pm

I think the Physics score will offset your poor performance on Verbal (I am not quite sure about the Analytical though).

You might want to take TOEFL or IELTS in order to prove to schools that you can deal with English (provided you're an Intl. student).

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:20 pm

As long as you have a decend TOEFL score nobody will care about your verbal score... mine is just 180 points above yours and i still got in

astromandi

Post by astromandi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:37 pm

My TOEFL score is 109.

I took GRE without much preparation and did pretty bad in verbal section.
AW score in GRE 3.0 somehow contrasts with my score in TOEFL writing section 29/30. :o :o

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:53 pm

astromandi wrote:My TOEFL score is 109.

I took GRE without much preparation and did pretty bad in verbal section.
AW score in GRE 3.0 somehow contrasts with my score in TOEFL writing section 29/30. :o :o
the TOEFL writing says nothing honestly... i took the test hung over and still got a 5 on the computer-based

the score should be good enough imo

astromandi

Post by astromandi » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:17 pm

helio wrote:
As long as you have a decend TOEFL score nobody will care about your verbal score... mine is just 180 points above yours and i still got in
Hi
Can you tell me about the places where you got into and about your scores in various tests?

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:20 pm

astromandi wrote:
helio wrote:
Hi
Can you tell me about the places where you got into and about your scores in various tests?
i am not applying for theory at all, so I am being judged by different standards. Check this http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=975 thread and see where other people got into