Real information about your status

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

robertson

Real information about your status

Post by robertson » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:34 am

In my opinion, in a few days or even weeks we will be really worried about which universities are kind enough to let you know that your application is complete and which ones don't care at all, and some of us will need to call again and again to some of the latter to fix some problems. It will be very useful if some of you can share information about the status of your application, you can follow my example. Thank you very much

EDIT: I still think that using the discussion thread for this can be confussing. Use this instead
Last edited by robertson on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertson

Re: Real information about your status

Post by robertson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 am

MIT: Email received on 12/17/08 saying that my GRE scores were missing. Email on 12/22/08 to say that the app was complete.

Washington: Status webpage works fine. Updated in 1 week or so. My transcript was missing and they did not said so by mail. If something is missing, email them.

UCSD: I asked through email on 01/02/09. Replied on 01/06/09. App complete

Princeton: They update the status rather slowly. Be careful, TOEFL is mandatory. If they say in the status that they have a copy, they do not have the original, and hence the app is not complete.

Harvard: I asked through email on 01/02/09. Replied on 01/14/09. App complete

Stanford: I asked through email on 01/02/09. Replied on 01/07/09. App complete

Caltech: No additional materials sent. I don't know anything about scores. I emailed them today.

Columbia: They received my additional materials on 12/19/08. They updated the status on 01/12/08. App complete

valentino

Post by valentino » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:27 am

Michigan - Site says complete. ~01/05/09

UCSB - Site says complete. ~12/28/09

Cornell - Site says missing transcript and TOEFL. Called TOEFL, checked tracking for transcript. Emailed them back. 01/13/09. UPDATE 01/14/09 email reply, only thing missing is TOEFL, threatened of not being reviewed.

UIUC - Site says nothing about transcript, everything else is in. Called on 01/11/09 and was informed that transcript was not there. Could not track it via USPS. Resent a copy 01/13/09. UPDATE 01/14/09: transcript received. this is complete.

Chicago - Received and email on 01/12/09 informing of missing TOEFL. Called TOEFL (holiday delays). Emailed Chicago back. UPDATE 01/14/09: Sent them copy of online report, which they said was enough to verify scores. I suppose this is complete.

Columbia - Site doesn't say anything about my transcript, but that everything else is in. Should email or call. 01/13/09. UPDATE 01/14/09: called but only reached voicemail. will email.

Stanford - email inquiry 01/13/09 following robertson's example.

UCSD - emailed inquiry 01/13/09. UPDATE 01/14/09: reply, complete

Berkeley - unknown, planning to wait (is this a good idea?).

UCLA - unknown, but I received an email sometime ago saying that they don't use the site and they would just email regarding any deficiencies.

UC Davis - unknown
Last edited by valentino on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:37 am

Michigan - unknown (just submitted)

Penn State - transcript and 2 letters are missing (even though they've all been sent). GRE scores recieved.

Cornell - "Track Your Status" shows that everything was recieved by 12/22.

Chicago - Email on 1/6 saying that application is complete

Stanford - unknown

Berkeley - unknown

Princeton - "Track Your Status" says that transcripts were received 1/6. GRE scores received 1/15.

MIT - Email on 1/12 saying application is complete.

Harvard - unknown
Last edited by secander2! on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bencpp

Post by bencpp » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:11 pm

UCSD - unknown
UC Davis - complete
UC Irvine - complete, reply my e-mail after one month :shock:
Penn State - showing 7 materials are missing but after e-mail inquiry, the application is then completed
Ohio State - unknown
Last edited by bencpp on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm quite frustrated. I've applied to 10 schools and everything should be in everywhere. Havent received one "complete application confirmation". And everyplace I've emailed has totally blown me off.

Northwestern: Emailed-got blown off saying they would look into it never heard back
Michigan State: Emailed-got blown off saying they would look into it never heard back
University of British Columbia: Have emailed twice and they keep saying they're backlogged and information should be posted online but its not at all

Giving up and just going to assume everything made it to where it was supposed to go. Emailing is hopeless and these online systems never get updated.

trani

Post by trani » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:22 pm

Berkeley - Got e-mail that my app is complete on 1/20
Chicago - Email on 1/6 saying that application is complete
Columbia - Sent e-mail to ask of my status on 1/15. Status page shows one missing transcript.
UWash - The status page says my transcript not received as of 1/15. Next day it was received. App is complete
UPenn - "Track Your Status" shows one transcript missing as of 12/23. Just(1/16) sent an email checking if my transcript is still missing. Got a reply a few hours later. My app is complete.
Stony Brook - Transcripts have not been processed as of 1/16.
UCSC - App complete. Found out by checking on "MyUCSC Portal"
Last edited by trani on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.

a13ean

Post by a13ean » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Berkeley emailed me to let me know that they never received my transcript, so I assume if you never hear from them you're in the clear.

unstudmaddu

Post by unstudmaddu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:08 am

Princeton: All materials received. Status page was updated.

Cornell: Complete. Status says transcript missing but email inquiry confirmed receipt.16 Jan: Status Updated to application complete

UPenn: Status says transcript missing. Email reply said to continue checking status and that they will contact me if anything is missing.

Harvard: Unknown. Waiting for email reply. 1/22 Reply said to call so called and found application to be complete.

Columbia: Status says TOEFL and Transcript missing

Stanford: Unknown. Waiting for email reply.
Update 16 Jan: Received very polite email saying that GRE scores have reached but TOEFL hasn't. Also, I will be receiving a formal status mail next week.
Interestingly, the mail also mentions that they will start reviewing in a couple of weeks only. 21 Jan: Application complete.

UIUC: Unknown. Waiting for email reply.

Maryland: TOEFL and transcript missing.
Last edited by unstudmaddu on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Penn State: Complete confirmed by email there is supposedly a system that I can't access... go me
JHU: Still hasn't waived my TOEFL - Great the grad secretary is on vacation good for her - else complete
UIUC: Inquire 01/16/09 by email
UCLA: not heard a word guess it is complete
Stanford: nothing as well - guess it is complete - Inquire 01/16/09 by email
Hawaii: Called - complete after nearly killing the phone line at the graduate office about my transcript
OSU: Complete - Supposedly decision won't come out till late march to april... Not going their anyway after my UT acceptance
Boulder: Complete and in review too lazy to update online after 2 emails and 2 phone call
NYU: Has everything as far as i can tell from their weird system (only took 6 weeks to find my transcript)
UT: Complete.. one of two system that seems to work efficiently - in review
UWisc: Complete... the other system that works efficiently
UWash: Complete and has been for OVER 2 MONTHS
USC: Dunno
Yale: done
Last edited by Helio on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

meowful

Post by meowful » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Note: My applications are to astronomy departments not physics departments so, to all you physics applicants, your mileage may vary, don't try this at home, etc.

Berkeley: Waiting for e-mail reply.

Caltech: Unknown

Colorado: The online application system said my transcripts were missing. I e-mailed the graduate program assistant, who said they had my transcript but that my GRE report had only include my physics score, not my general score. This school was one of my four free recipients so now I'm paranoid that the other three reports also omitted the general GRE. Silly ETS (or silly me if I didn't check the box to include my general scores...)

Cornell: The graduate field assistant replied to my e-mail inquiry saying my application was complete! Yay!

Harvard: Called the admissions office, who said they had my subject but not my general score. This is so annoying because this wasn't one of my four free reports and I know I told ETS to send both my general and subject scores. But the person I spoke with said that I probably don't need to order another score report at this time if I included my scores in the application form.

Michigan: From the wolverine friend status page, it looks like they received everything! 01/20/09

wade money

Post by wade money » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:16 pm

to those who emailed harvard and got a reply, which address did you guys use?

sergei

Post by sergei » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm

has anybody heard anything from Harvard!? Stanford has just e-mailed me about the missing GREs although I sent it to 'em via ETS almost 2 months ago... So i guess it is highly possible that ETS could have forgotten sending my scores to Harvard... I e-mailed Harvard million times, but received no response at all... What to do now!?

cato88

Post by cato88 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Call them. They seem to ignore e-mails. Dont bother e-mailing a waste of time. Its very easy to
ignore e-mails.

sterculus

Post by sterculus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:31 pm

MIT: Confirmed complete via e-mail from them 1/21
Harvard: nothing
Stanford: nothing
Princeton: Received an e-mail about a missing transcript 1/12, sent a scanned copy and a new one but haven't heard anything else.
Caltech: nothing
Berkeley: Confirmed complete via e-mail from them 1/21
Maryland: Website says it's complete (I think).
UCLA: nothing
Boulder: nothing
Wisconsin: Confirmed complete via website.

swepi

Post by swepi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:41 pm

I am domestic and here is what I know so far.

Stanford U - Applied Physics - Emailed on 01/21/2009 that my application was complete.

U of Illinois, Urbana - Physics - As of 01/22/2009 the application status shows that my application is not complete. My recommendations don't seem to have been matched with my file, although they all have been submitted through the online application. As of 01/23/2009, I contacted the graduate office of the department and they have added my recommendations to my file. As far as I can tell, everything is complete.

Rice U - Applied Physics (RQI) - Contacted on 01/20/2009 that my letters of recommendation (4 of them) must be sent directly to their department. That is, they cannot be submitted through the online form. They are also missing one transcript from some graduate course work I did.

Wash U in St. Louis - Physics - Emailed on 01/03/2009 that my application has been received.

U of Illinois, Chicago - Physics - Everything seems to be in order on the status page. No contact from them as of yet.

IUPUI - Physics - Had my transcripts sent on 01/14/2009, so I doubt they have them all at the moment.

Northern Illinois U - Physics - Was asked about my Physics GRE score on 01/23/2009 and I told them what it was. Currently sending supplemental information.
Last edited by swepi on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:45 pm

swepi wrote:I am domestic and here is what I know so far.

Stanford U - Applied Physics - Emailed on 01/21/2009 that my application was complete.

U of Illinois, Urbana - Physics - As of 01/22/2009 the application status shows that my application is not complete. My recommendations don't seem to have been matched with my file, although they all have been submitted through the online application.

Rice U - Applied Physics (RQI) - Contacted on 01/20/2009 that my letters of recommendation (4 of them) must be sent directly to their department. That is, they cannot be submitted through the online form. They are also missing one transcript from some graduate course work I did.

Wash U in St. Louis - Physics - Emailed on 01/03/2009 that my application has been received.

U of Illinois, Chicago - Physics - Everything seems to be in order on the status page. No contact from them as of yet.

IUPUI - Physics - Had my transcripts sent on 01/14/2009, so I doubt they have them all at the moment.
where do you see your UIUC status?

swepi

Post by swepi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Helio wrote:
swepi wrote: U of Illinois, Urbana - Physics - As of 01/22/2009 the application status shows that my application is not complete. My recommendations don't seem to have been matched with my file, although they all have been submitted through the online application.
There is a separate status and supplemental information page at: https://my.physics.uiuc.edu/gradstat/login.asp

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:18 pm

swepi wrote:
Helio wrote:
swepi wrote: U of Illinois, Urbana - Physics - As of 01/22/2009 the application status shows that my application is not complete. My recommendations don't seem to have been matched with my file, although they all have been submitted through the online application.
There is a separate status and supplemental information page at: https://my.physics.uiuc.edu/gradstat/login.asp
thanks never got an email or any info from them about it.... what about GRE scores?

swepi

Post by swepi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:02 pm

@Helio

I don't see anything about GRE scores either, only TOEFL or IELTS.

hoonkp

Post by hoonkp » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Harvard physics department started reviewing applications. It is best to call them for checking application status, the person who gets the phone call seem to be nice.... She said if anything is missing physics department will directly reach me.. and if I don't hear anything back it's okay.

valentino

Post by valentino » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:19 am

guys, is there anyway to check the application status for UC Davis online? anyone heard back or tried emailing?

do they share the same policy as UCLA and stanford when it comes to application materials inquiry?

bencpp

Post by bencpp » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:38 am

valentino wrote:guys, is there anyway to check the application status for UC Davis online? anyone heard back or tried emailing?

do they share the same policy as UCLA and stanford when it comes to application materials inquiry?
I sent them an e-mail, they replied me after 3 business day.