Is there anyone who applied to UT Astro and haven't heard?

stargazer

Is there anyone who applied to UT Astro and haven't heard?

Post by stargazer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 am

It just seems that everyone who applied to UT Austin got an acceptance today as far as I know.
But because my application status is still incomplete and the decision is made too early than I expected, I'm just thinking if the acceptance e-mail is real;;
Is it ridiculous to think that it can be possible the e-mail has been sent to all the applicants due to some error?

coconut

Re: Is there anyone who applied to UT Astro and haven't heard?

Post by coconut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:12 am

I don't think the e-mail was sent in error...I had spoken with the grad admissions secretary last week Friday about my status, and she told me that my application had been reviewed by the admissions committee just the day before and that she planned on "sending out emails with admissions results next week" (which is this week).

Also, how do you know your application status is incomplete? If you looked at the graduate school's online status page, well, don't forget that the astro department only needs unofficial transcripts and GRE scores. So naturally, those items will say "incomplete" on the online status page.

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:20 am

coconut wrote:I don't think the e-mail was sent in error...I had spoken with the grad admissions secretary last week Friday about my status, and she told me that my application had been reviewed by the admissions committee just the day before and that she planned on "sending out emails with admissions results next week" (which is this week).

Also, how do you know your application status is incomplete? If you looked at the graduate school's online status page, well, don't forget that the astro department only needs unofficial transcripts and GRE scores. So naturally, those items will say "incomplete" on the online status page.

Good point!
But the "incomplete" materials include SOP which I uploaded on the web and haven't submitted to the department.
Then does it mean that the graduate school sent my SOP to the department, but not updated the online status page?
Last edited by stargazer on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

coconut

Post by coconut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 am

Yeah don't worry--the dept. got your SOP. It was sent online with the rest of your online application anyway, so it's pretty weird that they didn't automatically update our status pages saying it was received.

myjeon

Post by myjeon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:42 am

How many people do you hear who recieved the acceptance e-mail?

franziaboy

Post by franziaboy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:32 am

i didn't get an offer today. i'm sure many others didn't either

Unnatural Log

Post by Unnatural Log » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:34 am

I'm not exactly sure why, but UT has been making their astro decisions really fast (within a week of the deadline) for a few years now. They also send out an early e-mail for rejections too (at least they have in the past), so if you've received neither an acceptance or rejection e-mail, I think it genuinely means they haven't made a decision yet.

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks.
Then I have got the admission! wow!

myjeon// the number is not that big (less than 10 including the postings here),
but I'm from small country and it seems several students here who got the acceptance.

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 pm

The whole SOP thing is a system glitch.... I called the department about it and Charmarie Burke told me about that. Astro decisions are easy to make because you just have fewer applicants... They might have 100 to 150 where as Stanford or UWisc physics has somewhere on the order of 400 to 450 and they either take forever (Stanford) or are really quick (UWisc). It all depends on the school really

What I really was like HUH about was the title of the email with all its abbreviations

edit:

Just send an email regarding the visiting weekends... If I can visit during their and my spring break and I got a reply.... the official weekends are Feb. 27-28 and March 13-14