Perimeter Institute

Imperate

Perimeter Institute

Post by Imperate » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Hey, anyone applied here? everytime I go to apply I get 'The requested campaign is now expired.' is it just too early?

tmc

Re: Perimeter Institute

Post by tmc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:35 pm

You can't do graduate studies directly at PI, since they are not allowed to grant degrees. Apply through the University of Waterloo, or another partner university.

nowhereguy

Post by nowhereguy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 am

You can apply directly through PI's website (if they admit you, they will arrange your admission at UW). You might want to contact PI's representative and ask why the link in the website does not work.

tmc

Post by tmc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:43 am

Yes and no.

Last year (and last year alone), they let students apply directly to PI. Some people got in trouble for it and they took it back.

This year they have a new program for a 1-year masters in theoretical physics, for which you can apply directly through PI (who will then send the app through Waterloo for admission). It's new and on the main page of their website, and is different than a regular graduate program (it's not a PhD program).

Imperate

Post by Imperate » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Do you think I can apply to the new PSI scholars thing aswell as a PhD there? I already have a masters, but that sounds awesome, and if I didn't get into a PhD programme I wanted (since I'm international with an 830 GRE) that would be a great way to spend a year, and prob a really good stepping stone to get into a top PhD programme after, hmm...

tmc

Post by tmc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:19 pm

I don't see why not.

Though, PI has been getting a lot of publicity over the past few years, so it's possible that PSI will be extremely competitive; it's hard to gauge.

rahuldatta

Post by rahuldatta » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi!

I had a query regarding Physics GRE subject test. Can u tell me whether the April 4 test date is not available in India? bcoz I dont find India among the list of the centers in the online registration form.

Thanks

tmc

Post by tmc » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm pretty sure only the November test is available in India.

xudis149

Post by xudis149 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:34 am

@RahulDatta

you can go to Nepal [visa not needed] where PGRE is conducted in April...

sergei

Post by sergei » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Imperate wrote:Hey, anyone applied here? everytime I go to apply I get 'The requested campaign is now expired.' is it just too early?
The following e-mail was written in response to my inquiry on application to PhD program at Perimeter.

Dear ****:

Perimeter Institute does not offer Ph.D. degrees and as such you would be unable to
pursue your graduate studies here. However, many of our researchers are
cross-appointed at one of the local universities – currently these include the
University of Waterloo, the University of Guelph, and the University of Western
Ontario. Through these affiliations, these researchers supervise graduate students,
most of whom then take an active role in the activities at Perimeter. You can find
the affiliations of our researchers and associate members listed on their personal
webpages, which can be accessed through Perimeter’s home page:
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca. If you are interested in working with any of
these individuals, we suggest you contact the University department in which they
are cross-appointed for information regarding application procedures.

Best regards,

makingupscience

Post by makingupscience » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:03 am

you won't get into a good phD program unless you present an idea no one has ever heard before... not fake sustainable fusion pointing at the sun...prove the impossible to get into a program