admission for phd

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

hassan12345

admission for phd

Post by hassan12345 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:23 pm

i have gre subject with score of 820 and 2 publications with impact factor 2. which university can i apply? can i get admission to top ten univs?(mit, harvard, berkley, cornell, columbia,stanford,.....).plz help me.

tau1777

Re: admission for phd

Post by tau1777 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:33 pm

well that sounds like a great application so far. what about general GRE? the problem is though, most of the big schools had their deadlines for Dec 15th for domestic students and dec 8th for international students. but if you're applying next year i think you have great odds if you're domestic. i think for international they want something like a 900. but with 2 publications, its still a very strong application. good luck.

naseermk

Post by naseermk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:46 pm

What do you mean by an "impact factor of 2?"

If you're an Intl. student, 820 might be below what top 10 are looking for. However, schools claim that applications are considered in terms of GPA, GRE, Recommendation and Research Exp. There is simply not just one single criteria that can get you in or out.

By the way, which area are you looking at? If you need further opinions, post your profile in the 2009 Profile thread.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 pm

naseermk wrote:What do you mean by an "impact factor of 2?"
The Impact factor is a way to score the importance of an article based on how many citations it gets.