PGRE at Stony Brook

Soso

PGRE at Stony Brook

Post by Soso » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Hello,
I am a french student and I want to apply to the PhD program of Stony Brook in HEP experiment. However, my PGRE score is rather bad (760, 67th percentile), below the mean of the university (800, 82th percentile). As PGRE score is not required, but strongly recommanded, do you think that it could be better not to mention it in my application?

Thank you very much
Sonia

Soso

Re: PGRE at Stony Brook

Post by Soso » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:41 pm

I have made a mistake, the mean score of the university corresponds to the 72th percentile, not to the 82th

tau1777

Post by tau1777 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 pm

i think you should just go for it, and give them the scores. i mean first they might ask for it anyways. i know you might be worried since it wasn't has high as what they want, and you're an international student, but i'm still sending mine. a domestic student yes, but my score 680 (52 %). so yeah. just go for it.

meowful

Post by meowful » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:08 pm

If all of the applicants get to choose whether to report their physics GRE scores, your score is very close to the mean of the scores people thought were good enough to report.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:16 pm

My PGRE score is much worse. I'm a domestic applicant, but I did an REU at Stony Brook last summer, so I'm hoping that helps.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:41 am

I'd definitely report it if I were you. First off, 760 is a respectable score and if you don't report it, there's a chance that they'll assume it was much worse that it is or that you were too lazy to take it. Secondly, I don't think Europeans are lumped into the same boat as Asians, and your 760 might actually be above the Domestic + European average! Best of luck!

TheHawkBat

Post by TheHawkBat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:35 pm

I hope this helps all of you who are worried a bit about your scores.

I am currently about to start my second semester at Stony Brook. My PGRE scores were well under the average (590, 33rd percentile) and I made it in. I know of a few students who were around or worse than mine as well. And we all submitted our scores. So I say submit them. I talked to some of the faculty, and they put a lot more weight on other areas of your application. Hope this helps!

rohit

Post by rohit » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:31 am

TheHawkBat wrote:I hope this helps all of you who are worried a bit about your scores.

I am currently about to start my second semester at Stony Brook. My PGRE scores were well under the average (590, 33rd percentile) and I made it in. I know of a few students who were around or worse than mine as well. And we all submitted our scores. So I say submit them. I talked to some of the faculty, and they put a lot more weight on other areas of your application. Hope this helps!
do you know any internationals with such scores who made it in?

TheHawkBat

Post by TheHawkBat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:46 am

I'm not sure of many of the international students scores. I know of a few that didn't take it though. Sorry I can't be of any more help in that area.