Biting my nails already

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

evilclaw2321

Biting my nails already

Post by evilclaw2321 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:04 pm

So i know alot of deadlines haven't even past yet and I'm already biting my nails and pulling my hair out wondering where am i gonna get in, am i gonna get in at all, have they all received everything, is there anything else I can do at this point??? Is anyone else having this problem? Especially being on break from school right now and having nothing to do all day but sit here and compulsively check my application status on every website. What are you others doing to keep from going crazy?

Fritz.Zwicky

Re: Biting my nails already

Post by Fritz.Zwicky » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 pm

evilclaw2321 wrote:Is anyone else having this problem?
Duh :wink:

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:25 pm

evilclaw2321 wrote:What are you others doing to keep from going crazy?
Watching a lot of movies, playing tennis, and getting drunk every few nights... yeehaw! Of course, for whatever reason, after I sent in my applications I really haven't been feeling a lot of stress about the whole thing -- I've even put off reminding my recommender of the last few deadlines (and a couple of them have already passed).

Ren

Post by Ren » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 pm

ofcause :roll:
I think I was going to hav a nervous breakdown with the UT Austin application. What the hell is wrong with it :evil:

anyway... I don't know how to keep myself from going crazy. I wish I can get away somewhere, but I already spent most of my money on the application thing. Well, now I'm getting angry.

trani

Post by trani » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:26 pm

If you've got time on your hands then for goodness sake, enjoy it!!! I wish I was in vacation still... Anyhow you can't do anything about it at this point so don't worry about it.

Take a moment to enjoy life cause you are signing up for 6 years of slavery :mrgreen:

Here is a suggestion: find something new that you like to do - a new hobby. I did that this break. I figured it is about time i took an actual break where I am not reading physics or something related. I picked up a few fun books. Started knitting (I know I look like a granny). Anyhow enjoy. :D

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 am

Its just so hard to relax and not think about school when you're so used to being so busy. I graduated at the end of fall semester (not by choice) and the thought of not going back to school till next fall makes me sick, which i know sounds weird but I just get so used to the lifestyle of a crazed physics student. I do need to find a new hobby.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:58 am

Somehow over the Christmas break, I was able to sit back and enjoy myself, but now that my research has started back up (why can't I be on the academic calender!?!?!), I'm back to compulsively checking my application statuses and PhysicsGRE forums.

naseermk

Post by naseermk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:49 pm

I was working throughout. Thought I could focus my energy on work (semiconductor failure analysis), but, the industry is hard hit by recession.

Worked Christmas eve, Christmas day + New years as well :D Good practice for the long years to come.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 pm

I get the sense that grad students can still take off, say, a week for Christmas and New Year's, but I should probably already be back at work even though my semester doesn't start until January 20.

Post docs, on the other hand...

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

ooh, my suggestion to get our minds off waiting: http://www.freetetris.org

It zaps time, and according to a recent article in Time magazine, people who play Tetris regularly are supposed to improve their spatial reasoning skills!