Worth sending new grades?

nathan12343

Worth sending new grades?

Post by nathan12343 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 am

Hey everyone, I'd like to hear opinions on something. I just got my grades back for the fall semester, and I got my second 4.0 semester in a row, but this time while taking 17 credit hours. I'd like to send these scores to the grad schools I'm applying to, but I'm not sure I want to send them even more paperwork to sort out and put in my file. Is it worth it? Does it even matter?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

unstudmaddu

Re: Worth sending new grades?

Post by unstudmaddu » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:09 am

Just contact the school. Most of them accept unofficial grades which are then attached to your transcript. I have had to do this for all the Dec. 15 schools.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Yes, send in new transcripts, or unofficial grades if they accept them, with a note asking them to update your file with it because fall grades are included. It won't complicate your file... it simply replaces a transcript with a newer one. Even if they don't require fall grades, plenty of students send them anyway, so the schools will be expecting some.

P.S. I'm not sure if you already knew this, but all grad programs (at least the ones I'm familiar with) don't require the transcript to be sent directly from your academic office. You can mail it yourself as long as you don't open it. At my school we'd have to wait 7-10 days if we wanted them to do the mailing, but we only had to wait 1 day to pick up transcripts... So if you get them and mail them soon they should certainly arrive before the review process starts.

dsperka

Post by dsperka » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Would it be worth it to send them for me? I got A's in thermal physics, and particle physics, and am applying for HEP experiment. However I botched modern algebra and got a C.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:15 pm

dsperka wrote:Would it be worth it to send them for me? I got A's in thermal physics, and particle physics, and am applying for HEP experiment. However I botched modern algebra and got a C.

I don't like that C, best not to let them know. They'll find out anyway if you get accepted!

Thanks for your advice, quizivex, I'll have to start calling admissions people at all of the schools after christmas.

dustdevil

Post by dustdevil » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey, should I send mine? I got A's in my research seminar courses (not so big of a deal) but I also got A's in stat mech, plasma physics and solar system physics (no + or -). However, I also got a B+ from the professor (my advisor) who is writing my letter of recommendation. He has always been known to be a hard-ass, especially when it comes to grades, so I expected either a B+ or A- in the end. I was hoping for a 4.0 semester but that B+ took it to a 3.86. Worth reporting? My overall science and math gpa is a 3.52, so it's better than that...

Ren

Post by Ren » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:22 pm

@dustdevil >>
I think you should send it. Those are some good physics classes. I don't think B+ would hurt, what's class is that by the way?

I want to send mine but that will be after school start. I guess it might still be in time.

conunDrum

Post by conunDrum » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 pm

dsperka wrote:Would it be worth it to send them for me? I got A's in thermal physics, and particle physics, and am applying for HEP experiment. However I botched modern algebra and got a C.
Im in a similar boat. Good grades in tough astro and physics courses, and because my math professor decided to give 1/2 of the class Cs, 1/4 of the As and Bs (mostly Bs), and fail the last 1/4 (whAT!! :shock: ) I got a C. I even went to the prof and started telling him how ridiculous it is he failed 6 students, but I left and vowed to never return to the math department. :evil:

Im not sending the grades unless I am asked for 'em, that C is just glaring. Brown wants semester grades, Im not sure if I should include something like "this is not indicative of my work, as can be seen by my previous work" and explain the arbritrary grading was not in my hands. Any bod have suggestions on this.

ps Long time lurker, first post.