Math for Physics Graduate Students

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

naseermk

Math for Physics Graduate Students

Post by naseermk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 pm

I found an interesting link by a Postdoctoral fellow in HEP titled 'A Mathematics Primer for Physics Graduate Students.'

The notes can be accessed at:

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~blechman/papers/mpri.pdf

Pls post a comment if you find any problems / how helpful it is.

twistor

Re: Math for Physics Graduate Students

Post by twistor » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:02 pm

I have skimmed it and it seems reasonably readable, however I won't know for sure until I actually try to read it. Hopefully, being that it is written by a post-doc and not a professor, it will be less abstruse than most of the documents out there that cover the same subject areas. It's hard to find decent introductory material to advanced topics.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks for the link. I only skimmed it too... but just based on the content I see it may be very useful to read later. I never saw tensors in undergrad. And apparently they're not just any old matrix as I first thought so I may end up printing out this document. The undergrad texts and profs have done a terrible job of preparing us IMO.

Velocitaneous

Post by Velocitaneous » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Agreed. Even if you're a math + physics major, you may not be COMPLETELY prepared unless you are willing to learn a bit above the required (Lie algebras and differential geometry aren't necessarily covered, I think?)

YF17A

Post by YF17A » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:43 pm

This is a really excellent review. I'm starting a math/phys seminar at my school to try to get the physics students exposed to this kind of stuff, and this is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. Thanks for finding this!