Scaled score change

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

astrofan

Scaled score change

Post by astrofan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Kinda freaking out about this. I called in a couple weeks ago to get my scores; it gave me the right scaled score but wrong percentile score (or it changed). I am pretty certain I heard a different percentile score than it reported on the phone.

Also, I am looking at the score report, as well as the score report I got from the General GRE and the percentile scores changed from one report to the other for the general.

Should I inform the schools that I have already sent appliations to that the score percentile changed? I don't want to look like I was trying to lie, not sure why the percentile would change.

edit: I should learn to use the search command, as there is a thread in the pgre section of the forums about this.
Last edited by astrofan on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathan12343

Re: Scaled score change

Post by nathan12343 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:32 pm

Percentile scores can change from year to year and test to test. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, though, you could try calling the schools you applied to so they can get your updated percentile scores.

quizivex

Re: Scaled score change

Post by quizivex » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:18 pm

ETS publishes what they call "GRE: Guide to the use of Scores." It explains in detail how all these things work. I'd imagine anyone on an admission committee has read these documents and should be aware that percentiles change over time.