How are my chances?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

DR.DOOLITTLE

How are my chances?

Post by DR.DOOLITTLE » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:45 pm

Sorry...however I have to add yet another, "low gre, high energy theory, what are my chances?" themed post to this forum. Here are my stats:

GRE V: 490
GRE M: 800
GRE Writing: 5.0
PGRE: 660 (48%)
GPA 3.75 (double major in physics and math)

I go to a small school which is not known very well. I completed an REU and will be submitting a paper for publication soon (hopefully by January) on high energy phenomenology. I want to apply for HEP phenomenology at the following:

UCSB
Cornell
U Chicago
U Washington
UMD
UC Davis
UCSC

The research I did is very much a continuation or related to the research that some of the people perform at the aforementioned schools. I suspect very strong letters of recommendation. Do I stand a chance? Should I add some safeties (if so, which ones)?

Thanks for the help,

E.Murphy

murs

Re: How are my chances?

Post by murs » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm in a similar position, you can check out my profile, decent everything except 680 PGRE. If I were you, I would throw in at least one more backup school, just somewhere that you wouldn't mind going and that you are pretty certain to get in to. If you can afford it, keep all the schools you have already and add on a safety school or two.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Just my opinion: As you probably know, UCSB, Cornell, and U Chicago will be serious reach schools, but it's always good to have some, so I don't necessarily think you should take them off your list... if you've got the money for application fees, it can't hurt, especially since the effect of a published paper seems to be somewhat random in how much it counts for. The others seem like they might be more feasible, but I might throw in a super-safety just because you're doing theory.

Also, did you say that you've already worked with some people at these schools? I would bet that this would count for quite a lot! If you've got somebody on the inside who really wants you, you're probably almost assured a spot.

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:21 pm

secander2! wrote:Just my opinion: As you probably know, UCSB, Cornell, and U Chicago will be serious reach schools, but it's always good to have some, so I don't necessarily think you should take them off your list... if you've got the money for application fees, it can't hurt, especially since the effect of a published paper seems to be somewhat random in how much it counts for. The others seem like they might be more feasible, but I might throw in a super-safety just because you're doing theory.

Also, did you say that you've already worked with some people at these schools? I would bet that this would count for quite a lot! If you've got somebody on the inside who really wants you, you're probably almost assured a spot.
UWash is also a GRE heavy school... phenomenology as in theory i guess, because you need to take similar courses as an experimentalist as well, so i don't know what you want to go into.