Max Planck Institute, Erlangen

dmahler

Max Planck Institute, Erlangen

Post by dmahler » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:22 am

Hi,
Do any of you know of the reputation of the Max Planck institute in Erlangen? I'm going into quantum optics, so the work they do there is relevant to my studies, but their reputation in comparison to, say, CalTech or MIT is completely unknown to me. And yes, I realize that the Institute is not a university, I would be doing my pHd out of University Complutense de Madrid, but all my research would be done at the institute. Any thoughts? Has anyone here actually done or is doing research at the Institute?
Thanks,
-dm

robertson

Re: Max Planck Institute, Erlangen

Post by robertson » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:24 am

Hi!
I have a friend studying in Erlangen and he is very enthusiastic about working at that institute in quantum optics. He said it was probably the best place in Germany, and that is something important, to do quantum optics. In addittion, Max Planck Institute is a mark of excellence, it looks quite decent in your CV. I also had a very nice German party there, and the city is mainly inhabited by students. However, in my opinion Caltech is much better and some other universities in the USA as well. Have you seen Ignacio Cirac's group? He is in the MPI and he is doing quantum optics and quantum computing in the highest level.
Good luck!

dmahler

Post by dmahler » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:20 pm

No, I haven't heard of him. Which division is he in? I'm applying to division 1 (Gerd Leuchs' group), but I don't know yet which part of division 1 I would work in if I am accepted. What types of experiment does Ignacio Cirac do?
-dm

robertson

Post by robertson » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:53 pm

He is actually at Garching, and I have no idea where is that place, aside from the fact that is obviously in Germany. They work in Quantum Computing, Entaglement and such things. I know him because people say here in Spain that he is the only Spanish that could win the nobel prize in the next twenty years, but probably every European country has one of this :P Check out their webpage, there are a lot of Spanish people working with him and that always means party, party!
http://www.mpq.mpg.de/Theorygroup/CIRAC ... ision.html

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:56 am

Quantum optics in germany is centered at the above linked institute in garching (about 10 minutes outside of munich). They are one of the best when it comes to quantum optics in the world (nobel 2005). However, you need to realize that you need masters (with a thesis preferably) to qualify for a PhD program with them

the erlangen one is more EE, i.e. photonics, signal transmission, etc.

If you need more info on the environment... I worked at max planck for physics in munich over the summer