Statement of Purpose

murs

Statement of Purpose

Post by murs » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on applying right now and had a quick question about my SOP. I really want to do research for solar panels, so I am looking at studying condensed matter or nanostructures. Is it worth saying in my statement of purpose that I want to study condensed matter/nanostructures because I want to work on solar energy, or should I just talk about my interest in quantum mechanics and such? Some of the schools I'm applying to don't have a professor working on solar specifically, but they have some programs that would be similar I think.

I'm applying to 9 schools: U Delaware, Cornell, U Washington, U Oregon, Berkeley, UCSC, UCSB, Colorado School of Mines, and CU. My chances are slim to a lot of these with a 3.6 GPA, hopefully 800 on PGRE, and some research at Los Alamos but more with nuclear engineering than actual physics.

Thanks!

xudis149

Re: Statement of Purpose

Post by xudis149 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:17 am

Isnt 800 a good score..??
unless you are an international applicant...

murs

Post by murs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm domestic, and I know that 800 isn't bad, but with a 3.6 GPA it will be the strong point of my application.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:46 am

If it were me, I'd probably avoid discussing interest in a sub-field which isn't explicitly offered by the university I'm applying to, unless I could spin it very positively and make it extremely clear that my research objectives could be easily met by working in conjunction with the existing research groups, without becoming a drain on funds and while actively contributing to their research.

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:39 am

My generic statement of purpose is around 1200 words, but I've noticed that there are wildly varying size suggestions for different schools. For instance, Chicago asks for less than 2000 words, while Columbia requests ~500!

Do you think it's a problem to use a 1200 word SoP for each of these? Or should I add filler for Chicago and seriously cut down for Columbia? I'm trying to cut it down and I'm having difficulty getting significantly under 800.

(I didn't want to start a new topic and I figured this was as good a place as any for the question.)

trani

Post by trani » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:45 am

ha, I am applying to Chicago and Columbia too... and was just writing my personal statement too...and to make it extra creepy, mine is getting to be about 1200 too :)

I would recommend trying to cut it down to at least less than 600 for Columbia, since i think more than 20% over the allowed would demonstrate inability to follow simple guidelines, thereby, affecting you negatively.

As for the other ones I was planning to elaborate a bit more on things that i just skimmed over for the 1200 word statement. I think bringing it up to 1500 is quite sufficient...

jsd

Post by jsd » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:39 am

As someone also applying to Columbia and Chicago (my "basic" personal statement was only about 1100 words), I decided to really cut it down for Columbia. Basically, I wanted it to be one page, single spaced. For Chicago, I felt I had more leeway, so I ended up just slightly over two pages (maybe 1300 words). If you've managed to say everything important in 1200 words, don't bore them with fluff.

G01

Post by G01 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:51 pm

jsd wrote:As someone also applying to Columbia and Chicago (my "basic" personal statement was only about 1100 words), I decided to really cut it down for Columbia. Basically, I wanted it to be one page, single spaced. For Chicago, I felt I had more leeway, so I ended up just slightly over two pages (maybe 1300 words). If you've managed to say everything important in 1200 words, don't bore them with fluff.
I agree. Don't worry about your statement being a little short of the suggestion. Your statement will be graded on content not amount of words. So, if it is shorter and still contains all the relevant information, that is a good thing. It shows that you can express yourself efficiently and effectively using the English language. If you add fluff, you will end up burying the information you want them to notice.

On the other hand, if you statement is much LONGER than the suggestion, I would try to make it shorter. As already mentioned, this will show that you can't follow simple guidelines.

My statements are also ~1200 words. It seems that that is the standard length for most people.