free application

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ether

free application

Post by ether » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:02 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking for universities with no application fee. I would greatly appreciate if someone can give me a few names....off the top of your head maybe..I come from poor country...I have already spent money on PGRE, GRE general and IELTS...I only have money left for travel to USA if selected so I don't want to waste that money on application fees.....I am also considering biophysics, engineering and applied physics departments apart from physics.....I get to put uni codes on my GRE exam day on 4th of november so it would be great if you can respond before that....

secander2!

Re: free application

Post by secander2! » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:37 am

The only one which I know off the top of my head is the University of Rochester: http://www.pas.rochester.edu/urpas/page/gradeasy

Also, I'm under the impression that many universities will waive the fee in certain circumstances; I don't know what the requirements are for this, but it might be posted on their websites or you could always email them. Anyways, best of luck finding schools that will waive the fee or which don't have one in the first place!!!

Cheers,

Secander

Unnatural Log

Post by Unnatural Log » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:25 am

Penn State astro is free. I think Vanderbilt physics is free too, but I'm not sure.

murs

Post by murs » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:37 pm

University of Oregon is the only one I know. You can request a fee waiver from most places, I'm sure that they would understand in your situation and not make you pay.

coconut

Post by coconut » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm not sure if Penn State astro is free...

http://www.gradsch.psu.edu/prospective/apply.html

The website above says any degree application submitted after October 1 costs $65.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:08 pm

It always perplexed me how there are students who are willing to let application fees and GRE score report costs decide where they apply, and are willing to, for instance if they got a 400 PGRE, not take the GRE a second time because they "can't afford it" etc... If I were in such a bleak financial situation, I would probably major in something other than physics... something that pays better, and pays sooner than 6 years down the road.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:58 pm

He's from another country. That means his countrymen likely respect the learned and have little money to spend on such trivialities as testing and applications.

shouravv

Post by shouravv » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:21 pm

-
Last edited by shouravv on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:03 pm

quizivex wrote:It always perplexed me how there are students who are willing to let application fees and GRE score report costs decide where they apply, and are willing to, for instance if they got a 400 PGRE, not take the GRE a second time because they "can't afford it" etc... If I were in such a bleak financial situation, I would probably major in something other than physics... something that pays better, and pays sooner than 6 years down the road.

Wow physicist do have limited grasp on reality. In some countries average people make in a year what average people in the US make in a week. I always figured people knew that.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:17 pm

cato88 wrote:Wow physicist do have limited grasp on reality.
Wow student do have limited grasp on English. The derogatory tone of your post was not appropriate. I was just expressing my curiosity in a harmless way.

When ether says he comes from a poor country and he can't afford application fees, it sounds like he is POOR, that he and his family are deprived, to some extent. Perhaps that is not the case... I wish him the best of luck with his plans.

Shouravv's comments were very helpful in drawing the distinction... that if someone is unable to afford things in the US, it does not mean he is uncomfortably poor in his home country. There are still tons of deprived, poor people in the 3rd world, and to suggest that we domestic students are ignorant for not knowing the financial situations of every student is obnoxious on your part.

We are under no obligation to know the exchange rates of all your countries. You are the ones visiting another country, not us. If someone is so poor that he lives in a hut without running water and can't afford food, then physics grad school in the US might not be the best career to choose. Nobody will consider someone a hero for throwing away an opportunity to improve his standard of living for some "selfless pursuit of physical knowledge".

Finally, while none of us are satisfied with how underpaid and underappreciated physicists are, we should not promote the idea that there are two types of careers, 1) physics and 2) greed. There are other science-based careers (such as medicine, chemical engineering) that pay better and still do something useful for society.

I, for one, am not someone who is overflowing with fascination for physics, nor do I have parents in academia guiding me to follow their footsteps. I chose physics for a chance to do something interesting and hopefully useful for society, but I had plenty of other interests, and if I were uncomfortably poor, I wouldn't have hesitated to pick a more lucrative career, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

ether

Post by ether » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:07 am

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the input. I didn't mean to cause a scene here...I just wanted a few names....I am just saving some money for my travel expenses and I just realised that I will also have to pay almost 250 dollars for student visa, so I can't take any chances with my savings....I am also not giving much thought on the rankings and stuff because I can't afford to apply at 20 universities so I am going for the mediocre universities where I have a decent chance......by the way I am no way poor in my country but I think I could only survive for one month in america with my yearly income (two years ago I had a job, now I don't even have that and on top of that I have to look after my disabled brother and my elderly mother, we have no social security and I am hoping to save 100-150 dollars outta my stipend to send home)....that's all...

xudis149

Post by xudis149 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:59 am

would like to add something to the discussion here...

I really doubt that studying physical sciences is selfless..

I am planning to study physics in grad school for two reasons, firstly I always liked physics, secondly I am financially independent and can pursue my fancies.
And I am hoping this pursuit will pay my bills in future.

So for me it is a selfish pursuit, to satisfy my intellect...

And I echo what quizivex said, if I were financially unstable I would definitely try to do something that is financially more lucrative rather than do physics..

Point I am trying to say is, not just making money, but even if you are trying to solve the mystery of whole damn universe, in the end it is a selfish pursuit only...

anyways all the best to you ether..

PS: not trying to do an online argument { i have seen other threads in this site..} but just something I feel about learning physics..

cato88

Post by cato88 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:40 pm

quizivex wrote:
cato88 wrote:Wow physicist do have limited grasp on reality.
Wow student do have limited grasp on English. The derogatory tone of your post was not appropriate. I was just expressing my curiosity in a harmless way.

I chose physics for a chance to do something interesting and hopefully useful for society, but I had plenty of other interests, and if I were uncomfortably poor, I wouldn't have hesitated to pick a more lucrative career, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.
Thank you for the grammar analysis of a mistyped word. You have have added to the long legacy
of forum grammar school lessons.

I dont believe that everyone who is uncomfortably poor should feel compelled to get an MBA or MD. A physics PhD will still give anyone who is uncomfortably poor a boost in their finances. Physics is not selfless career despite how tough grad school may feel, you still have a PhD in a technical field and that should give a decent amount of options. Compare getting a job with PhD in philosophy and PhD in Physics. I know physics grads like to view themselves as some as some science martyr (I do too sometimes) but if you sit down and think it does not agree with reality.

marten

Post by marten » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:55 pm

FWIW, I think that Drexel in Philadelphia, PA has a free application if you submit online.

Marten

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:04 pm

Seems like a good handful of universities don't have an application fee. Two of the schools I'm applying to don't require one, those being Georgia Tech and Ohio State (although Ohio State requires a bit of hoop-jumping). I also think you have to be an American citizen to apply to those.

rohit

Post by rohit » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:32 pm

case western has an 8 $ online fee and no fee if you send the appliation by post :)

gliese876d

Post by gliese876d » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 pm

I believe UC Riverside waives fees if you meet certain criteria

lallooprasad

Post by lallooprasad » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Carnegie Mellon's free. (cmu.edu)
Also Stanford says it can waive fee for non US residents too if they show the inability to pay but I think that it would leave a bad impression because when you are taking $500 tests: GRE General, Subject and TOEFL, then it doesn't make any sense to apply desperately for a $100 waiver.

I understand quizivex' point of view. But the thing is when you are applying to like 8 universities and all costing you about $80-100/uni then you say to yourself, 'if there's a university with no application fee I should spend some money on sending scores and apply there too'. So total number goes to 9.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:40 pm

gliese876d wrote:I believe UC Riverside waives fees if you meet certain criteria
I just got an e-mail from them from the whole GRE propaganda machine that I submitted to. If you have over 1000 combined points on the general GRE and a GPA over a 3.5 or something you can apply for free.

Also, I think University of Rochester has free apps, too.

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:51 pm

lallooprasad wrote:Carnegie Mellon's free. (cmu.edu)
Also Stanford says it can waive fee for non US residents too if they show the inability to pay but I think that it would leave a bad impression because when you are taking $500 tests: GRE General, Subject and TOEFL, then it doesn't make any sense to apply desperately for a $100 waiver.

I understand quizivex' point of view. But the thing is when you are applying to like 8 universities and all costing you about $80-100/uni then you say to yourself, 'if there's a university with no application fee I should spend some money on sending scores and apply there too'. So total number goes to 9.
Stanford has one of the highest fees with a 105... and the whole ETS package costs you about 400 btw

rohit

Post by rohit » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:14 pm

coreycwgriffin wrote:
gliese876d wrote:I believe UC Riverside waives fees if you meet certain criteria
I just got an e-mail from them from the whole GRE propaganda machine that I submitted to. If you have over 1000 combined points on the general GRE and a GPA over a 3.5 or something you can apply for free.

hey corey did you get a mail frm David Barish at Riverside thru the ETS search service? Do you think they're really interested in the people they send these mails too? And i think Riverside is not even top 100..

rohit

Post by rohit » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 pm

cato88 wrote: Thank you for the grammar analysis of a mistyped word. You have have added to the long legacy
of forum grammar school lessons.
hahaha :lol:

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm

rohit wrote:
coreycwgriffin wrote:

hey corey did you get a mail frm David Barish at Riverside thru the ETS search service? Do you think they're really interested in the people they send these mails too? And i think Riverside is not even top 100..
ETS Search Service! That's what I meant by "GRE propaganda machine". Yeah, it was a message from him, and I highly doubt they are actually interested in us, nor am I interested in them.

lallooprasad

Post by lallooprasad » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 pm

Helio wrote:
lallooprasad wrote:Carnegie Mellon's free. (cmu.edu)
Stanford has one of the highest fees with a 105... and the whole ETS package costs you about 400 btw
$150 Subject, $170 General, $170 TOEFL. That's $490 I think!
There may be different rates for domestics and internationals. I'm an international.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:45 pm

Just for the record, Riverside is 68 in NRC-95 and 64 in US News 2008.... ummm so I guess they're slowly improving :D and yea, I doubt they're personally interested in us, but I'm sure they're interested in getting some strong students or they wouldn't shell over the cash to ETS for those adds and agree to waive the application fee... my guess is that they'd wet their pants if they could net a domestic with a PGRE of over 500 :twisted: j/k

astrophysicist2b

Post by astrophysicist2b » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Penn State astro and physics are free. How it works, at least in astro, is that you submit your application to the department directly (not the university), then they send the accepted ones to the university and pay the fee themselves.