Post PGRE dilemma

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

aditi405

Post PGRE dilemma

Post by aditi405 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:48 am

Hi,
I just gave my PGRE on 8th november this year. I am an international student. Unfortunately, I dunno what to expect when it comes to the results. Is it advisable to apply this year even though i am not sure abt my marks?

I know everyone says PGRE is not the only thing that matters but I am sure for the prestigious schools, it does matter. I am sure I could get admission to some strictly OK schools but i wanted to go to a reputed grad school. my parents feel, more or less most grad schools in USA are good and so even if i don't get admission to a good school and work hard I would do well. I have chosen schools based on my research interest that is material science. Plus one of my professors wants me to assist him in a new project assignment which will start in feb 2009 and most prolly end in september and i wanted to, you know incorporate that somewhere in my application next year. Can someone tell me what to do? should i apply next year and give the exam again in case my results are bad or should i just go for it this year and cross out the reputed schools from my list.

Hypernova

Re: Post PGRE dilemma

Post by Hypernova » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:09 am

I'm applying for 2009 myself so keep that in mind when you read my reply.

I'm an international student as well, but I'm finishing my degree here in the US. I would say if the application fee is not that much of a problem for you, give it a try won't hurt. I will try a couple top-5 school myself just for the sake of it, even though my GRE is horrible and my profile isn't really stand out.

Of course, trying this year won't affect you next year. So, I would say just give it a shot. Again, I'm struggling with this myself so my advice won't be really useful, but that's all I could say.

Oh, and if by bad score you mean 800-something then please dismissed what I say. Yes, there are person who confirm that that is a bad score for international, but since I'm below that I won't comment on anything about your score. :oops:

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:27 am

I wud consider 800 to be a pretty good score actually so no i think i am expecting less but even tho money wont be that much of a problem, 300-500 dollars is quite a bit for anyone. plus i'm scared that if i apply this year and do get admission in one of the schools that aren't high on my list i will be forced to accept their offer under pressure or whatever, some stupid psychology thing. i don wanna apply 2ce i'm sure abt that tho.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:54 pm

If I were you, I would definitely apply to some schools. If you don't mind taking a year off and you don't want to settle for a school which is not high on your list, just apply to those which you like and try to get a backup plan lined up for next year (maybe apply to a master's program or a position at a research lab or just take an extra year at your school) in case you don't get in this time.

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:39 am

The ones i like wont like me much considering that my score on PGRE will be dismal. Thanks for your viewpoint. I really need to decide soon. I'm running out of time.

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:45 pm

I read somewhere (maybe in this very forum) that transfer is easier than... err, what do you call that? New applicants? Anyway, the point is it's all good if you get in somewhere I think, so I really recommend try applying to some schools instead of just give up.

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:39 am

thanks for the advice hypernova. i agree wid u guys now, i think i shud apply to 2-3 schools atleast. i just hope my PGRE score is not 400 or sumthing. i mean, i am not expecting that but i dint expect a 570 on GRE verbal either. I thought most of my answers were correct, so one can never predict what the result will be like even though nov 8th exam was kinda easy.

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:31 am

Is English your native or second lauguage aditi405? For me, 570 is good enough. I only tried General GRE in a free practice session in Kaplan near my school, and I got horrible verbal score (something 400 I think. Not sure) and Quantitative part is not good either (though I think I can improve that quite a lot). General GRE is something I will take it once and forget about it. I really have to bet on that it won't hurt me too much, because the time that needed for me to improve the verbal part would be too much. I will basically sacrify my research project and classes grade for that, which, I think, is not worth it.

Again, just to make you feel better, because someone who is even worse is right here :cry:

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:44 am

English is my second language.
Hypernova wrote:I will basically sacrify my research project and classes grade for that, which, I think, is not worth it.
dats tru i don think its worth it either, research experience is very important, i've learnt from ppl on this forum. and i don have much. thats why a 570 is pretty bad in my case.