ne last minute tips for pgre?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

aditi405

ne last minute tips for pgre?

Post by aditi405 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:02 am

I'll be appearing for pgre on 8th november. I have taken 3 practice tests. My major problem is that i get very tired, mentally, by the time i reach the 10th question because of nervousness. Then, if i push myself to continue and feel i'm doing well on the test, I feel like i'm tough enough to go through with the test. Then as soon as i come across a tough question I loose hope again. It's a cycle i can't seem to get out of. For those who have given the exam, can u give some last minute tips about how to keep on going despite the mental fatigue factor? Also any other suggestions are welcome.

xudis149

Re: ne last minute tips for pgre?

Post by xudis149 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:04 am

I think everyone feels these things but with different intensities.. its normal.. :)

i guess fatigue comes when you are unable to relax and get too much stressed up..
just relax.. know that no single question determines the score.. it is the total score that is important.. and there are actually quite a number of easy questions spread throughout the paper... it may be a good idea to skip complicated questions initially...

don't make it a matter of pride to do certain questions like say QM or classical mechanics...that often happens to me..

all the best

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:29 am

I think sidharthsp is right on. Another thing I might recommend is to think about nothing but the problems themselves and never spend more than 5 minutes on one question. In summary, don't philosophize about how you're doing on the exam while you're taking it; it's like when you're running long distance, if you stop and think about how tired you are, every step will feel like a mile, but if you just concentrate on the running itself, the race is over before you've started (a mixed blessing for the physics GRE). This worked for me, but I guess it doesn't necessarily work for everybody. Anyways, best of luck!!!

rohit

Post by rohit » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:22 am

I dont suppose there's anyone like me- i have yet to cover around 40 % of the syllabus in 3 days and solve the practice tests too !! To top it all i'm from India :evil:

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:37 am

Does anybody have any suggestion that help timing ourselves better during the test. It's a serious problem for me. I always run out time and miss the questions that I was to return and recalculate.

metric

Post by metric » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:43 pm

the best of luck to you all! I'm taking the exam on Nov 8th as well. We'll se how it goes...

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:28 am

all the best to everyone appearing for nov 8th exam. and can i also add that i loved Obama's speech?

aditi405

Post by aditi405 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:41 am

emperial wrote:Does anybody have any suggestion that help timing ourselves better during the test. It's a serious problem for me. I always run out time and miss the questions that I was to return and recalculate.
what i did during the practice test was- tried solving 17-19 questios properly (this doen't include just skimming through) within every 30 minutes. this way i didn't look at the watch after every question. Everytime i solved about 7-8 questions i looked at the watch to see if i was on the right track. more often than not i wasn't, so i dunno how good a method this is.

samuelarnold

Post by samuelarnold » Tue May 24, 2011 5:04 am

Did you already read the GRE books for the tricks?

sphy

Post by sphy » Tue May 24, 2011 3:34 pm

samuelarnold wrote:Did you already read the GRE books for the tricks?
Don't you see the date of posting of the last post.