late scores

aaronr522

late scores

Post by aaronr522 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:31 pm

so i made a big mistake and wanted to see if anyone had any advice. i registered for the nov. 8th test, but didn't realize the mailing date for scores wasn't until dec. 19th. the problem is that several of my applications are have dec. 15th deadlines. does anyone know if there's a way to expedite the process of sending scores or if schools will be willing to look over this?

secander2!

Re: late scores

Post by secander2! » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Sucks for you... all this stuff about letters of rec, grades, etc... is just a sham; the reality is that the schools admit everybody who takes the Oct 18 exam and reject everybody else :twisted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're OK. I found this tidbit on the Harvard application which makes it sound like you just need to get them your scores as fast as possible, even if they're not ready by the time you submit the application:
Official score reports must be submitted by the Educational Testing Service. If the GRE Subject test is required or recommended by the program, it is advisable to have the scores submitted to us as soon as they are available. If you have recently taken the GREs or will be taking them soon, provide date above.
Also, if you want, you can always call on Dec 10th, pay the $12, and write in your scores on the application. I'm sure they'll provisionally 'take your word' on the scores until the official reports arrive :D

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:54 pm

secander2! wrote:Sucks for you... all this stuff about letters of rec, grades, etc... is just a sham; the reality is that the schools admit everybody who takes the Oct 18 exam and reject everybody else :twisted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're OK. I found this tidbit on the Harvard application which makes it sound like you just need to get them your scores as fast as possible, even if they're not ready by the time you submit the application:
Official score reports must be submitted by the Educational Testing Service. If the GRE Subject test is required or recommended by the program, it is advisable to have the scores submitted to us as soon as they are available. If you have recently taken the GREs or will be taking them soon, provide date above.
Also, if you want, you can always call on Dec 10th, pay the $12, and write in your scores on the application. I'm sure they'll provisionally 'take your word' on the scores until the official reports arrive :D
well your first statement is still giving me a shiver.. actually i am appearing for the test from india.. where the PGRE is held only once in a yr.. so i have no other option than appearing for the nov test.. (next yr, presently i am in 3rd yr) ..
when will i get my score?
can i apply to an university without score and then send them the scores later?

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Sorry, I hope my joke was not in bad taste :?

Anyways, in response to your first question, you can find all the dates for the score reporting at the ETS website.

As for applying before the scores have been sent, as I said before, you should be able to call on Dec 10th, pay the $12 fee, and get your score report over the phone. You can then fill in the PGRE score box on the application so that the committee knows what your scores are. When the official score report arrives sometime after Dec 19th, they will simply verify that you weren't lying on the application. You might just shoot the departments and email to make sure, but I'm 99% certain that if you do this, everything will be fine. In fact, it's possible that you don't even need to phone ETS for your scores on Dec 10th, and that the committee will evaluate your application without PGRE scores until they arrive in late December... again, you can send some emails to the secretary to be sure of this or maybe another member on the forum could say for certain. I hope this helps!

aaronr522

Post by aaronr522 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:44 pm

thanks secander, that does help and i'll definitely do the scores over the phone to make sure. i'll probably also contact the schools just to let them know as well.

coreycwgriffin

Post by coreycwgriffin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 am

The six schools I'm applying to have January 1 deadlines at the earliest, so hopefully I'll be in the clear.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:55 am

yep, you should be just fine!!!