Need advice and safety school suggestions

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Hypernova

Need advice and safety school suggestions

Post by Hypernova » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:13 am

Hello, my first post here. I know that my PGRE is pathetic and no publication leave me in despair for a while that I don't even think about making a post asking. I tried to improve my PGRE and I think I did better on Oct 18 but it shouldn't change by much. I still have the Nov exam but my graduate class that I'm taking is getting in the way. Wait, I'm making excuses again.

Anyway, I need advices about what else I could do to make my application looks better. I just updated my profile, so please take a look a that. I really want to do cosmology or astrophysics theory. With that in mind, could you guys suggests some safety schools? I looked at the other threads, so I know which are top ones, and I tried to use gradschoolshoppers, but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

Thank you in advance.

Updated: I will post my profile here so people don't have to register & click the link

Physics GRE Score: 610
GRE Quantitative: 0
GRE Verbal: 0
GRE Writing: 0
Undergrad Institution: Around 60 in physics in US. (I guess)
Major(s): Physics/Math
GPA in Major: 3.99
Overall GPA: 3.96
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: Near Top
Residency: Thailand
Undergraduate Location: United States
TOEFL Total (if applicable): 0
Research Experience: 1.5 years of doing rotating star simulation code
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Top 100 GPA in junior year (Not that I think it's gonna make any different)
Bonus Points?: Taking graduate classical right now
Theory or Experiment?: Theory
Physics Field(s): Cosmology/Astrophysics
Application Year: 2009
Last edited by Hypernova on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xudis149

Re: Need advice and safety school suggestions

Post by xudis149 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:14 am

hmm..
I don't know whether I am giving any solution but what does everyone think about TUFTS institute of cosmology and Brandeis are they a safety school or not??? They lie in my radar too...

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:37 pm

I'd be more concerned with your normal GRE scores @ this point.

May the wind be always at your back,
-Wonton Burrito Meals

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks both of you above who replied. I will add something here in case someone else might kindly look at this post :wink:

I do starting to worry about my General GRE. I will spend a couple days making sure I am similar with Quantitative part, but Verbal, especially the analogy, will be a tough for me. Also, while I am pretty confidence about writing critically, I am not good on making a beautifully written sentence. Hope that won't hurt too much.

Update on my profile: My Oct and Nov GRE should be better. The possible range could be 650 to 800, but realistically I am hoping for a mid-700.

Now for the schools on my list (I'm :oops: by saying this, really):

Princeton/SUNY Stony Brook/U Michigan AA/Chicago/Ohio/Penn State/UO

Now some of these is certainly out of reach, but do you think I have enough varieties? (I don't think so, but I can't find any more "safe" one, hence my original topic.) I do want to go to grad school, so as long as I can do the research I want, I wouldn't mind much which school.

Again, thanks in advance for any comments.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:24 pm

realistically Princeton is an unrealistic reach because PGRE unless you have a professor who knows a professor there and is willing to make it a point to get you in there. I think that departments like to use PGRE scores as an admissions shortcut (at least for top programs).

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:34 pm

cato88 wrote:realistically Princeton is an unrealistic reach because PGRE unless you have a professor who knows a professor there and is willing to make it a point to get you in there. I think that departments like to use PGRE scores as an admissions shortcut (at least for top programs).
I think about this so many times. Should I just give up and save $85 after all?

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Hypernova wrote:
cato88 wrote:realistically Princeton is an unrealistic reach because PGRE unless you have a professor who knows a professor there and is willing to make it a point to get you in there. I think that departments like to use PGRE scores as an admissions shortcut (at least for top programs).
I think about this so many times. Should I just give up and save $85 after all?

Honestly, I probably scored around a 680 or so, but I have papers and good research experience and a good gpa. My recommenders are pretty well known and well connected, and I have a Masters degree already. I am just going to apply to the top programs, including Princeton, and hope for the best. I thought about saving the $$ too, but even if I get rejected (which I probably will), at least I know I tried...

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:51 pm

PoincareSection: If I were you, I would definitely give it a shot. Personally I think your chance of getting in is quite high. Of course, that makes me even more sad.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:35 pm

Hypernova wrote:PoincareSection: If I were you, I would definitely give it a shot. Personally I think your chance of getting in is quite high. Of course, that makes me even more sad.
The way I see it, everyone has at least one weak spot in their application (mine is GRE scores). The trick is to play up your strengths and why you are a match for the department.