new political and economical situation

tonyhongxp

new political and economical situation

Post by tonyhongxp » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:56 am

will the economical and political changes, like recent stock crisis and the coming precident, affect next year's admission?
since physics only generates partially visible fortune... whose wavelength falls in the range that short-sighted people cound never detect...
funding cutted, graduate school bankrupted...hoho, no more money-consuming physics...
I'm just curious

twistor

Re: new political and economical situation

Post by twistor » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:52 am

I guess that would depend on the ability of professors to acquire funding. My opinion is that no matter who wins we will probably see a reduction in science funding as federal funds are diverted to keep failing corporations afloat. I don't think there would be any major consequences for graduate admissions unless the troubles hold steady for several years.

dsperka

Post by dsperka » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:54 am

One of Hillary Clintons talking points during the primary was to "stop George Bush's war on Science." Im thinking she was referring mostly to stem cell research, but even if she was talking about physics to it doesn't matter much anymore. McCain wants to invest in Nuclear Energy, so I guess that would be indirectly beneficial to physicists. Obama hasn't really said much, to my knowledge, but does want to invest in alternative energy. Im assuming that doens't mean plasma or anything that we study though. When I visited UC Davis they told me its harder for them now to have students in HEP since to send them over to CERN costs so much right now. So, yes, I do think it is affecting us.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:21 am

The most relevant part for physicist seems to be the basic research question.

"McCain-"We must ensure that our research is addressing our national needs and taking advantage of new areas of opportunities and that the results of this research can enter the marketplace."."

I dont think research grants should have to consider the marketplace as much. Otherwise I might have to turn in an advanced clapper research proposal.

tonyhongxp

Post by tonyhongxp » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:11 am

obama said this
This situation is unacceptable. As president, I will increase funding for basic research in physical and life sciences, mathematics, and engineering at a rate that would double basic research budgets over the next decade.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:00 pm

As a physicist I would think a bigger research budgets would be a good thing unless I suppose one is just planning to get a PhD to go into finance or industry. An MBA is probably better for that and it only takes 2 years.

shouravv

Post by shouravv » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:32 pm

With McCain complaining about how WASTEFUL it is to spend 3m dollar for a planetarium projector or another 3m for analyzing Grizzly bear DNA (to determine probability of extinction / need of conservation), I guess it is hardly a serious decision in terms of who is more likely to fund basic research.

The more important question thus becomes would a decent economic policy along with tax-hikes for the rich and and ending wars spare enough money to be diverted to research once the financial mess is reasonably cleaned up?

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:22 pm

Inflation is killing the dollar at least gas is cheap for now till OPEC can get together after the election to show the USA what being in a cartel is all about.

vicente

Post by vicente » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:54 pm

There's no chance of schools lowering TA / RA wages... is there?

I'm wondering whether it might be easier for grad students at private schools to weather the storm since they're not dependent on funds from the state.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:39 am

Even private schools get federal funding through research grants, training grants, etc.

murs

Post by murs » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:55 pm

I talked to the head of admissions in my physics department who said that they have had significant funding cuts this year and she expects the same next year due to the recession/government bailout. Apparently they needed 8 TAs to cover labs and recitations and only got enough money to hire 5, so now some of them are doing double work loads for the same amount of money. Plus it does not bode well for admissions next year...

cato88

Post by cato88 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I thought it would take longer since a federal budget post 40% drop in stock market has not been done as far as I know

tonyhongxp

Post by tonyhongxp » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 am

it's getting worse now...

gjoshi81

Post by gjoshi81 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:14 pm

coming for the Wallstreet background, and now an Astronomy Phd aspirant, I can only say that sooner or later, US govt would need to treat its existing and prospective scientists better! As I see it, this is going to be the future of US

tonyhongxp

Post by tonyhongxp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:46 am

Well, heaven or hell
does anyone know the situation about 2009's admission?