I really screwed up can anyone help?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

spectoad

I really screwed up can anyone help?

Post by spectoad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi,
I missed the late registration date for the nov. 8 physics gre and I was wondering if anyone knew of any possible way I could register for the test.

I took the physics gre in the spring and got a 660, but the was before I had taken any quantum mechanics, circuits or finished the E+M series. Now that I have taken those classes I talked to some people who speculated that I could possibly improve my score up to an 800. I feel like this would give me a major advantage as I am now in the process of applying to grad school. I do have a good gpa and some of my professors think schools would consider the fact that I hadn't taken those classes before the test when looking at my score. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on this as well as if anyone knows if there is anyway to plead for forgiveness from ets and hope they let me register.

grae313

Re: I really screwed up can anyone help?

Post by grae313 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:42 pm

Aren't there walk-ins for the general exam? Then there might be for the physics exam. ?? I'd look into it, you might be able to show up like three hours early, be first in line, and get the space of anyone who doesn't show up.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 pm

As grae313 noted, there are walk-ins ("standby testing"). I know someone who did it for the physics gre last year.
ETS wrote:Standby testing may be available if sufficient space, test materials, and staff are available at the test center. If you'd like to attempt to test as a standby, report to the test center by 8:15 a.m. with:
-a completed registration form
-standby testing fee of $50 (in addition to test fee)
-acceptable photo ID.
You should look in to it.

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:28 pm

I did it two years ago. If you make sure you get there early, you shouldn't have a problem. Where I tested, they had extra tests for all subjects.... and it's not like they'll have hoards of people lining up to take the physics test. I think a few people for psychology were turned down though.

casaubon

Post by casaubon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Heh, I guess it never occurred to me that people would be taking other subject tests at the same time!

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 pm

It's funny because 30 people will be there for psychology and literature, but when I took it it was myself and another person there for physics.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:26 am

I still don't like the idea that given the importance of the test to a student's career, the time required to prepare for it, and the ordeal of traveling to a testing center (which can be far away depending where you live), that walk-ins run the risk of being turned away at the door on test day. Even though walk-ins are usually taken from what I heard, I'm sure it varies by subject and by testing center. I wish ETS had a more organized, less last-minute way of dealing with unregistered test takers. If they made it that registered takers had to confirm (online) the day before the test that they were actually coming, and then post online how many extra test takers they could accomodate at each center for each test, and then offer these seats online, it would be much more fair.

I planned ahead by registering for both the October and November test the year I took it, knowing that I would not get my October score early enough to register for the Nov test if needed and I wanted to get my preferred test center. In fact we didn't even get the score until the day of the Nov test. So those of us who took the Oct one had to decide based on how we "thought" we did whether to attend the November one. I figured I did well enough so I canceled the Nov test after the Oct test and got half my money back. So it cost me like 60 bux but the peace of mind was worth it.
casaubon wrote:Heh, I guess it never occurred to me that people would be taking other subject tests at the same time!
Well what surprised me was that we all took the tests in the same room.

My test would say, "Consider a nonrelativistic electron..."

And the girl's test next to me would say, "Consider a retarded schizophrenic pyromaniac..."

As for the guy who asked whether there are breaks during the test, it should be pretty clear after reading the ETS website and prep packet they sent that there isn't one.

3 hours is (I surmise) chosen carefully... it's essentially the longest test you can give without needing to break it up into parts. That way they can test as much material as possible without the logistical hassle of breaking it up into separate sessions, which would increase the cost, torture level, ease of cheating etc...

Just plan ahead and make sure you will not have to go to the bathroom during the test. Eat the bare minimum so that you can function but you won't feel the urge to go during the test. You won't even notice if you're hungry during the test, but you'd certainly feel uncomfortable if you have to go. I think all I had that morning was milk.

As for the day before, try to relax. It's not the time to cram more physics in. Hopefully you've been keeping a notebook with random notes and a list of equations. Just focus on that stuff the day before.

spectoad

Post by spectoad » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I was wondering, does anyone know of any instances where a person tried to take the test as a walk-in, but was denied for lack of space or some other reason?

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:01 pm

spectoad wrote:Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I was wondering, does anyone know of any instances where a person tried to take the test as a walk-in, but was denied for lack of space or some other reason?
I just heard that some centers enlist people for standby reg in 2 or 3 weeks before exam. and if you go on the day you may miss it. so ask the centers close to your area for any preregistration for standby.

elleayes

Post by elleayes » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:43 pm

i am in the same situation
i'm not the kind of person who takes chances when it comes to this stuff, do any of you guys know the success rate in taking the test as a standby?
i dont know what i would do if i cant take the test on the 7th.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:55 pm

elleayes wrote:i am in the same situation
i'm not the kind of person who takes chances when it comes to this stuff, do any of you guys know the success rate in taking the test as a standby?
i dont know what i would do if i cant take the test on the 7th.
You don't really have a choice, do you? You have to take a chance. It can vary completely depending on the testing center, but I've heard many success stories. In many cases, walk-in spots are given to people on a first-come-first-serve basis to fill spots of people who didn't show up. The larger the testing center, the more likely it will be that someone registered will not show up, but also the more likely it will be that someone else will be there waiting to get a spot. If you get there super early and are first in line, there's a decent shot you'll be able to get in to take the test. But again, unless you want to wait a year, what choice do you have? Wake up early.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:11 pm

well, I say it also depends on the test center. if you consider a center in a big city with too many applicants you may have lower chance than a not crowded one.