other source of practice questions?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

antimony121

other source of practice questions?

Post by antimony121 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 pm

Does anyone know of a good source for some practice problems other than the old tests? I've looked through some first year physics textbooks, but it's hard to know which ones are useful and which ones are too detailed?
thanks!

Helio

Re: other source of practice questions?

Post by Helio » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:32 am

most other source are violation of copyrights... so yeah illegal, but if you know chinese you can find a ton.

melchizedekk

Post by melchizedekk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:07 am

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:08 am

they are for high school students.
no advanced topics e.g. Quantum Mechanics are involved.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:05 pm

QM (%12) is a much smaller part of GRE than EM and Mech Optics and Thermo (about 60%) all of which are on those regents exams which are approximately at level of physics GRE for subjects of overlap. Most of the QM questions are only expectation values and probability questions which are among the easiest in the test. They should be harder but theyre not.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:47 am

I believe that this article addresses the topic pretty well: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1073

Personally, I found Physics Builder and the selected problems from the Purple Book to be quite helpful. Although, I will say that Physics Builder was FAR too easy, and the Purple Book was FAR too hard, they at least provide extra multiple choice problems to practice on. My personal studying consisted of working through Physics Builder, the Purple Book, and all the four practice tests... but we'll see on Nov 19th how much it did me. Good luck finding stuff to study from!!!

Cheers,

Secander

nonick

Post by nonick » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:35 pm

I managed to get a hold of this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Graduate-examinat ... 718&sr=1-7
I have done only one of the practce test there so far, and my general impression is that the tests there are around the same level of clarity and hardness as in the purple book.
Has anybody else used this book? Is it really worth struggling with the questions there, instead of concentrating only on the official ETS tests?

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:02 pm

I've never seen or heard of this book, but I'd be intrigued to know more about it since there are precious few PGRE resources. If it is like the purple book, then it could probably serve as a useful problem supplement (especially if you have a long time to study for the test), but if time is limited, it might be best to focus on the official ETS tests exclusively.

antimony121

Post by antimony121 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:27 pm

It might be a bit late, but i've also discovered that the Schaum's 'College Physics' books it a nice review. Most of the problems cover the same topics, just a little more straight forward than the GRE practice tests.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:58 am

I too have this book and it seemed like a great concept review with a lot of solid practice problems!!! Unfortunately, the sample problems are not multiple choice and so you can't practice many of the most important testing strategies which you would use on an actual PGRE.

samuelarnold

Post by samuelarnold » Tue May 24, 2011 5:15 am

I didn't get much questions. most of them are copy right protected.