Testing dates/deadlines

Maxwells_Demon

Testing dates/deadlines

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi,

I had a question about the PGRE and the general GRE. For the PGRE, by taking it in November, is this soon enough for schools to get your score? I think I read on some school websites that "you should take the exam by October." Does anyone know about this?

Also, about the GRE... When is the last possible date for people to take it to get their scores in on time? Early November?

Thanks
Maxwell's Demon

Helio

Re: Testing dates/deadlines

Post by Helio » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:36 am

Yes schools will get the scores, I have talked to them and they are like. it is okay as long as they get them soon after the deadline.

Maxwells_Demon

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:48 am

Are you referring to the PGRE or GRE?

Aren't applications looked at when the materials are received? Or is that a myth

-Maxwell's Demon

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:29 am

I have asked them and they say they look at them when they arrive.

So i guess what they do is a pre-selection, people they know they won't accept, pick your reason, and then look at the ones they would consider and add the pgre score to it. the general score... well how should i say... requirement with little to no value... make it or break it in situations were two people look the same on paper.

Don't quote... every school is different. I know that some schools just keep stacking them up till everything comes others look at them immediately

Unnatural Log

Post by Unnatural Log » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:28 pm

I've been wondering about that, Helio. My GPA is not the strength of my application - not awful, and it's from a good school, but probably just a tiny bit below average for most of the schools I'm applying to. My general GRE scores are great and I expect my physics GRE in a week to turn out great as well. So maybe I should wait to send in my application until I have all my materials - that way, if schools look at my app early, their first impression will be great test scores rather than a medium GPA.

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:13 pm

i mean the advantage of sending it in early is showing that you actually give a damn about applying. i mean the PGRE does not help it only hurts from what i have seen and when you look at schools like stanford accepting people with PGRE of 760, etc. (see another thread) i am not too sure what it is worth. honestly, i have always been told that it goes: Recs, GPA, and a mish mash of SOP and PGRE, depending on school and that the general GRE is like a final deciding thing if they have two candidates that look the same otherwise.

kammyuce

Post by kammyuce » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:06 am

i hav a very low GPA..
but my GRE score is good. (1390)
and i am looking forward to a good PGRE score...
wat r my chances
????

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:00 pm

kammyuce wrote:i hav a very low GPA..
but my GRE score is good. (1390)
and i am looking forward to a good PGRE score...
wat r my chances
????
What is low?

GRE scores matters little, PGRE is more important esp. for internationals

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:42 pm

to original poster,

I recommend taking the October PGRE test. I had registered for October, but changed to November - then it stunk that I hadn't gotten my score by the time I sent my applications that were due Dec. 15. Plus, if it goes badly you can do the November test too.

Also I took the General GRE mid December (it only takes 2 weeks for the scores to get done for the general) and the Dec. 15 deadline schools will usually accept GRE scores a couple weeks past the deadline. But I didn't like taking it along with my final exams - I was tired, stressed, and I didn't have time to do any practice exams because I was studying for finals (and so I scored badly as a result) ... so I recommend taking it by August before your fall term begins. Then you're done and you can focus on subject GRE preparation.