SOP-PY issue

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

xudis149

SOP-PY issue

Post by xudis149 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:22 pm

I understand that similar thing may have been asked before. But this thing is bothering me a bit for some time.

Thing is I had pretty low grades in the first two years of my bachelors due to some genuine personal reasons due to which I missed classes and skipped tests. Should I mention them in my SOP and justify my "failures". I can have even one of my recommendation's vouch the same for me.

I have heard opinions that SOP should be professional and positive.
But I feel if I don't explain my low grades it will give the impression that I was a sloppy student initially.

What do you all think? Should I mention it in SOP or ask my recommender to clarify it or BOTH?

Please give suggestions...

xudis149

Re: SOP-PY issue

Post by xudis149 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:24 am

Could anyone please suggest......

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:18 am

I dropped out of school during my second semester with a 2.0 gpa. I came back two years later and never got less than an A-. Mine is a more clear-cut situation than yours, I could hardly *not* mention it, but I did mention it in my SOP and had excellent results (see the profile thread). If you have genuine reasons and it is something that will really stand out in your application, then mention them, but don't dwell on them. Stay positive, and focus on what you learned. Everything you write should show how you are a better candidate for grad school. Keep it brief, keep it positive, don't make excuses, you should be fine. My opinion only, of course.

xudis149

Post by xudis149 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:03 am

Thanks grae313

Same for me I have to mention it.. as my grades in first two years are real low...
It seems you have done a good job despite the break..But for me being an international student it seems like a negative point in my application...

But I understand that I have to keep a positive tone..

cweeter

Post by cweeter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:21 am

I have really poor grades, but a fair enough research experience. However, when compared to the rest of my class, I am doing decently well. How can i mention this in my SOP and should I mention it at all?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:59 pm

cweeter wrote:I have really poor grades, but a fair enough research experience. However, when compared to the rest of my class, I am doing decently well. How can i mention this in my SOP and should I mention it at all?
If your class ranking is good, mention it in your CV or in your SOP.