A question about 8677

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

xudis149

A question about 8677

Post by xudis149 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:03 am

I took the 8677 test last week and scored at 87 percentile.[840 scaled score]

But 8677 is older than me in age..:)

Does anybody have an idea whether this exam is reflective of current scoring trends in physics gre test..

My aim is to reach above 80 percentile next month..

which is more important the scaled score or percentile...

zxcv

Re: A question about 8677

Post by zxcv » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:01 am

The old exams have significantly harder problems than the new exams (e.g. I scored a 850 with a raw score of 69 when I took it last fall). Depending upon whether your knowledge of physics is broader or deeper this may help or hurt, but your performance should be in the same range.

Emphasize the material on the most recent exams. Memorize all the equations you could possibly need to solve every problem, and then go back through and take the tests again until you're prepared to solve nearly every problem. If you're already scoring that well on a practice exam, you should be fine when you take it next month.

xudis149

Re: A question about 8677

Post by xudis149 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 am

Thanks zxcv!

I am planning to take the last one 0177 in three weeks, I guess that will be a correct indicator....

My knowledge is definitely broad not deep as of now because, i am switching field from an engineering background to physics..