What schools/programs with my credentials?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Daversauce

What schools/programs with my credentials?

Post by Daversauce » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:05 pm

Academic stuff:

BS in Physics from a California State school, all reqs complete for minor in astronomy
Campus GPA: 3.15 (3 years), cumulative GPA ~ 3.05 (resulting from bad grades transferred from city college, mostly GE, all lower division)

Also spent some time at Academy of Art Unversity for 1.5 years as a computer graphics major, GPA there was ~3.4, not that I think my classes here matter at all for grad school.

GRE- V: 530 Q: 790 A: expecting around 4.5-5.0
Have not yet taken physics GRE, contemplating a Nov 8 test time, provided a crash course review in a month can result in a decent score.

Other relevant experience: Was involved in local SPS, spent a semester as secretary and then another as treasurer. I Did a semester of independent research directed by the astro professor which resulted in a research paper and citation on professor’s web site, along with posted images from observations. Did a summer internship before graduating at Blackboard Inc, a large online education company. Since graduation have worked for almost a year now as a database programmer in .Net framework.

I realize my gpa is weak, and specifically grades in classes like upper division mechanics and e/m were C’s. This may be somewhat offset by B’s in thermo/optics/modern/ independent research studies and A’s in astro courses and differential eq. Hopefully even further offset with a varied background including art and work experience.

My goal is to study in some area related to astrophysics. I am very interested in cosmology, GR, and stellar evolution theory.

I am thinking of leaving work and returning to classes in Spring to take undergraduate Quantum, second semester intermediate E/M and a couple math courses, something like partial differential eq and maybe differential geometry. This would be something I would note on applications that are processing for an intended Fall 09 enrollment.

Can anyone offer me advice on where I should be looking or anything else I should currently be working on to improve my chances of admission to a good program? I don’t care so much about prestige as I do about a nice location, ability to do research and supportive faculty.

G01

Re: What schools/programs with my credentials?

Post by G01 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:15 pm

Daversauce wrote: Have not yet taken physics GRE, contemplating a Nov 8 test time, provided a crash course review in a month can result in a decent score.
I did not have time to read your post yet, but I did catch this above quote.

Have you signed up for the test yet? If not, DO IT NOW. The due date has already passed! If you sign up before the week is out you can get in but you will have to pay an extra "late fee." After this week you can no longer register for Nov. 8th.

Daversauce

Re: What schools/programs with my credentials?

Post by Daversauce » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:18 pm

I did, just this morning, thanks! Sorry the post was so long. I've been reading around this board and finding answers to much of what I asked.