Experimental Physics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

wexl34

Experimental Physics

Post by wexl34 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:32 am

Does anyone have any idea regarding funding for graduate students in specific areas of physics for this year or the following year?
Ranking of Exp Cond.Matter, Exp High Energy, Exp. Plasma and so on?

Helio

Re: Experimental Physics

Post by Helio » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:43 am

I will get out my NSF/NASA funding crystal ball.

Generally, Experi. Condensed Matter has always been strongly funded, but there is high competition. Experimental high energy physics is mostly large collaborations (ATLAS paper with 13 pages of just authors) and they money coming out every hole (just spend 3 months in a HEP lab... they were custom making everything, frying preamps by the dozen, etc. etc., but it was part of a collaboration).

Honestly, choosing research by funding can backfire badly. Do what you like not what the money situation looks like. there is always some grant that you can survive on.

G01

Post by G01 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:20 pm

Helio wrote:I will get out my NSF/NASA funding crystal ball.

Generally, Experi. Condensed Matter has always been strongly funded, but there is high competition. Experimental high energy physics is mostly large collaborations (ATLAS paper with 13 pages of just authors) and they money coming out every hole (just spend 3 months in a HEP lab... they were custom making everything, frying preamps by the dozen, etc. etc., but it was part of a collaboration).

Honestly, choosing research by funding can backfire badly. Do what you like not what the money situation looks like. there is always some grant that you can survive on.
Usually experimental research has more funding than theoretical research.

Also if you research has any application to technology or the military, then usually that field has good funding also.

In a field like condensed matter experiment, which is experimental and also has many applications (depending on the research) funding is pretty good. As Helio said, it is competitive, but that will be the case in any field.

Juston

Post by Juston » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:32 pm

For last year, you can get the funding breakdown (and number of grants) by subject for each university at http://www.gradschoolshopper.com (just look under the table titled "Separately Budgeted Research Expenditures"). In general, CM and HEP are the most well-funded, but they don't have the breakdown for theory and experiment.