Sending GRE score reports

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

a bucket

Sending GRE score reports

Post by a bucket » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi all,

It's me again (if you remember :P ). This time I come from the distant land of whenthehelldoitakemygre bearing an enigmatic question that has been troubling me for ages (about the past ten minutes). I registered for the general GRE near the end of this month and from what I've noticed, applications are due in ~Dec-Jan. If I remember correctly, I can send 4 score reports for free and pay an exorbitant fee for additional ones. If I choose to use these free slots, my score reports will probably arrive at the grad school before I submit my application. Does anyone know whether they accept scores before the application? Is there anyone else facing a similar problem?

Thanks,
A Bucket.

quizivex

Re: Sending GRE score reports

Post by quizivex » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Does anyone know whether they accept scores before the application?
Yes. All 6 of my schools received and filed my score reports properly even though I sent them with my October GRE and didn't submit (or even start) any of my applications until December.

Note that you'll have a chance to send 4 free reports again when you take the PGRE. These new reports will include both your general and PGRE scores. Therefore, I suggest you do'nt bother buying any additional schools to send reports to until you take the physics GRE... if you do it before, the schools will only get your general scores and you'll be wasitng money. Once your PGRE scores are in, buy additional score reports as needed.

a bucket

Post by a bucket » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:22 pm

quizivex wrote:Note that you'll have a chance to send 4 free reports again when you take the PGRE. These new reports will include both your general and PGRE scores. Therefore, I suggest you do'nt bother buying any additional schools to send reports to until you take the physics GRE... if you do it before, the schools will only get your general scores and you'll be wasitng money. Once your PGRE scores are in, buy additional score reports as needed.
Hey, that's a good idea. Thanks, I didn't think of that before. That takes another 80 bucks off my application fees.

blueeverest

Post by blueeverest » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 pm

I didnt know that either. Thanks.