Columbia University Medical Physics program

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

oz13

Columbia University Medical Physics program

Post by oz13 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 pm

I know its not a CAMPEP approved program, but does anyone have any other info on it? Would it be a complete waste of my time to study Medical Physics at Columbia, especially becuase of this 2012 deadline? Any thoughts, advice, other info would be appreciated.

JohnWillkins

Re: Columbia University Medical Physics program

Post by JohnWillkins » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:16 pm

I think it would be most beneficial to contact Columbia directly. Personally, I am planning on going to an accredited university just so I don't have to worry, but if they are planning on becoming accredited then I would bet they would obtain it--only Columbia will know if they are going to seek accreditation though. I am hoping the MIT/Harvard MEMP program seeks accreditation as well. Good luck.

twistor

Re: Columbia University Medical Physics program

Post by twistor » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:15 am

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the 2012 CAMPEP ABR deadline. If you plan on doing a CAMPEP accredited residency, or you don't plan on working in a clinical setting where you would need ABR certification, then graduating from a CAMPEP program is not as relevant. CAMPEP programs may give you a slight advantage if you plan on going into clinical work, but outside of that the accreditation doesn't hold a lot of weight. Furthermore, you can always choose to do a CAMPEP accredited residency program and still be eligible for ABR certification.