physics vs. humanities/writing

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

goodtimes

physics vs. humanities/writing

Post by goodtimes » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Some people have drawn really thick lines for me between the mathematical/sciences and the humanities. Basically, if I write on a website of any sort I'm not a numbers person, and if I use numbers in math class then I'm not a humanities/writing sort of person. Yet the posters here are physics graduate students and potential graduate students who write and chat and communicate a lot in written English. This site is somewhat professional but it's also partly a chatroom. Yet no one is throwing you out of physics programs for using too much language, chatting, writing. Are the people who draw these lines wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

dlenmn

Re: physics vs. humanities/writing

Post by dlenmn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:44 pm

?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:22 am

Ah yes! This is an epic event, we've been waiting 4000 years for this. garden has sent his missionary preacher to share some words and inspire us to think about an important question that may lead us on the right track to nirvana. Now we have heard from all four of the divine beings on the forum. I think this is what garden intended when he promised something great would happen in August. Here is the heirarchy of gardenism for those of you newbies less familiar.

1) The god: garden
garden wrote:I would say that you guys should *** off the school with damn committee, which they put you guys down because of your GREs not over 90%.

Why? because they are so conservative!
2) The disciple: marcelpopescu
marcelpopescu wrote:I' am interesting in this domain and I want to know what are the materials which describes the basic ideeas in this domain.
grae313 wrote:garden's disciple :shock:
3) The crapy dude: physicsdude
garden wrote:Ha ha ha, I did not realize that I have been hitting to the back door, thanks to crapy dude!
physicsdude wrote:<>
(physicsdude's words are so special that they are transient, they are only visible for a short time and then are deleted forever, only sharing their precious wisdom with the few users who were lucky enough to sign on at the right time... studies show his posts have a half-life of about 3 hours.)

4) The missionary preacher: goodtimes
goodtimes wrote:Some people have drawn really thick lines for me between the mathematical/sciences and the humanities. Basically, if I write on a website of any sort I'm not a numbers person, and if I use numbers in math class then I'm not a humanities/writing sort of person. Yet the posters here are physics graduate students and potential graduate students who write and chat and communicate a lot in written English. This site is somewhat professional but it's also partly a chatroom. Yet no one is throwing you out of physics programs for using too much language, chatting, writing. Are the people who draw these lines wrong? Is there something I'm missing?
And FYI:
The antigarden is tickets

He was the force fermiboy was referring to in one of the funniest posts in the history of the forum:
fermiboy wrote:Isn't the appearance of the Antigarden a sign of Garden's second coming, where all of the Gardenites will be raptured and the damn admission committees fucked off?
Last edited by quizivex on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:03 pm

I think you are asking if there are firm boundaries between the social sciences, humanities, and physical sciences. Ultimately they differ in how they approach and study fundamental questions.

You are confused. There is a difference between using a language to communicate and the practice of studying the human condition through it's literary works. Here we communicate about physics, whereas in the humanities they communicate about literature, philosophy, etc. Both may share a common language (here, English) but they are two altogether different things.

wexl34

Post by wexl34 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 am

.I thought he was referring to the people in the humanities who believe a physicist only knows
numbers and is not proficient at communicating at although this might be justified at least in non paper form.

a bucket

Post by a bucket » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:07 am

Let me be as blunt about this as I possibly can:
goodtimes wrote: Basically, if I write on a website of any sort I'm not a numbers person, and if I use numbers in math class then I'm not a humanities/writing sort of person.
WRONG :!: :!: :!:
goodtimes wrote:Are the people who draw these lines wrong?
YES :!: :!: :!:
goodtimes wrote:Is there something I'm missing?
YES :!: :!: :!: :roll:

I suppose the only way I could encompass the gist of my argument is by quoting dlenmn:
dlenmn wrote:?
If you want more advice on the matter, please don't hesitate to ask me. :)

Regards,
A. Bucket.